I've sadly realized my backpacking days are over, due to some issues with my aged feet, but I've switched over to canoe camping in a 14' solo canoe. Space and weight are still prime considerations in my camping gear...these boats are not tubby gear haulers that you can bring a cooler in.

Sleeping off the ground, off the crinkly narrow Thermarest NeoAir Xlite, more directly out in the great outdoors has a lot of appeal to me. So I've been devouring all the posts on this forum and slowly getting my gear together.

I have started out with a double-layer Dutchware Chameleon so as to use the pad for now while I ponder the options on underquilts. It's been set up in my backyard for a couple of trial runs. First night...maybe I was too excited about sleeping in a hammock but I couldn't get quite comfortable and got about 3 hours of sleep.

Made adjustments for the second night...better hang angle for a flatter lay and let air out of the pad so that I wasn't so prone to sliding off the thing...much better results. Slept on my side comfortably for a long time, switched over to the other side and slept there comfortably, lay on my back in the early morning and slept comfortably that way too. The second night also saw me sleeping with the Chameleon's top cover on, which made things way more cozy. Temps were probably in the low 50s Fahrenheit. Using a 33* Marmot Hydrogen sleeping bag spread open like a top quilt.

More practice runs to come!

I do want to say thank you to all the members who post friendly, direct answers to newbies' questions...you have helped make my learning curve a lot less steep.

And holy smokes how great all the cottage vendors are...order something from Dutch at 10:00 pm, it's shipped out by 11:00 am the next morning. Have a question about moving the location of pullouts on the Winterdream 12' tarp to accommodate a contemplated Ridgerunner bridge hammock...get an answer from Paul within a few hours. These are just great people to deal with.

Peace,
Clare