Okay, so I went hammock camping Tuesday night this week in the local National Forest. It was a primitive campground and no one else was really around. I just needed to get away. I was ok and enjoying my solitude, watching little critters and birds, had a little fire going and was digging the breeze in the trees and the sway of my hammock...until the sun went down.

I was kind of tired and ready to sleep when the sun set and I could no longer enjoy the visuals in the fading light (or through my bug netting for that matter). The first hour after the sun set, I was out like a light. I was totally zonked out, but around midnight, 1am or so, I awoke to some rustling in the forest nearby. Somehow, I went from relaxed to high alert and I just couldn't shake it. I ended up whipping out my flashlight every time I heard something. I counted 3 raccoons that passed by within 15 feet of my hammock within an hour. (No, I didn't have any food out and even my trash (actually stuff I picked up from previous campers) was clean and untouched in the morning.)

I finally got creeped out and ended up sleeping in the back seat of my truck until the sun came up.

I think part of it is camping alone, but I do enjoy the solitude and sway of my hammock.

Has anyone else had similar experiences or have techniques for just chilling out. Like everyone else here, I've been watching Shug's videos for a couple years now and he seems SO relaxed and able to sleep 8-12 hours at a time. I'm just not feeling that unless I'm hanging in my house or backyard.

Any helpful hints or suggestions, greatly appreciated.
(And if this is the wrong place to post this question, I sincerely apologize as I am new to the forums.)
Sincerely,
Megan
aka The Rolling Rook