OK, I was able to play around with my SLD catch-all sack yesterday morning. Mine is an 8’, regular-width sack in dark olive. In the sack ready for this weekend are:
  • regular-width Dutch Chameleon single layer in Hexon 1.6 with CLs
  • Dutch asym bugnet
  • ridgeline organizer
  • 2Q2Z peak bag
  • Dutch Sidecar
  • Wooki XL, 20°
  • LLG 20° Ghost Pepper 52x80, +2 oz overstuffed
  • down pillow
  • kitsapcowboy War Bag (gear hammock) on whoopies

The photo shows what it looks like pulling the sack down from the head end, and how far it gets to the foot end. From here, I just disconnected the foot end from the suspension and pushed it all into the tube.

AC1201D2-63F3-4BC1-A678-92F5F052410E.jpeg

I can pack this tube into a 15L dry bag, but I have next to no room for a tarp, suspension, or stakes. And to do it, I have to keep one end of the sack opened because it traps air inside. Pushing it all into the dry bag reminded me of when a magician swallows a 4’ balloon... and I’m pretty sure the trick works more or less the same way.

It’s definitely not as easy to either pack or deploy as a black bishop bag is for a hammock... but it’s just one bag, instead of three or more for the hammock, quilts, and other gear. I think I’m going to like it, as long as it cooperates when it comes time to shove it into a bag or pack.