Long time lurker, first post. I'm sure that this has been answered before in the annals of HF, but I couldn't find an answer...

Working on building my first gathered end hammock. I'm deciding between doing a double layer of 1.1 ripstop or a single layer of 1.6 HyperD.

I'm 6'1", 215lbs. I'm not hyper-focused on weight, but I do want something that compresses down well. It sounds like either choice would have a weight capacity around 300 lbs. I don't plan on using a sleeping pad, so double layer is not a necessity, but I gather that a DL has some other ancillary benefits (mosquito protection, a little more wind resistant, etc.)

Any thoughts on which direction you'd go? Would one be a lot more stretchy than the other? Other thoughts on durability, flexibility, options etc?

A side note, I just built a windsock out of some 1.1 calendared RipStop and love the fabric. (The calendaring really seems to block the wind well) I wouldn't trust my weight to a single layer of it, but they say two layers is about 1.75x as strong as one.

I appreciate any thoughts or input!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk