My hiking buddy and I are planning to section hike the AT in the Whites in mid December 2018. We’ll be hammock camping. We’ll be flying to Logan Airport and catching the Concord Coach bus to Franconia Notch, backpacking to Pinkham Notch and catching the same bus back to Logan. The trip will span from the 12th to the 23rd. We will stay in town the first night and catch the bus early on the 13th. The return trip on the bus will depart early on the 23rd. So we will start at Liberty Springs trailhead in Franconia Notch the afternoon of the 13th and need to make it to Pinkham Notch some time on the 22nd. That gives us about 9.5 days to traverse about 55 miles.

There appears to be a potential resupply in Crawford Notch right around the middle marker. Should we plan on resupplying there or try to do without it?

There are some long stretches above tree line, so I am wondering how to schedule everything. What sort of pace should we expect to accomplish at the various sections on this route given that it will be snowing. For example, will the long rocky traverse after Mount Washington be easier due to the snow smoothing things over? Or will it be slower due to crazy wind speeds and slippery terrain?

We would like to add more miles along the way if we are ahead of schedule, so if that happens, what trails would you recommend incorporating?

I will be using a 70L pack and I’m considering bringing a Ribz pack too.

Will 10’ straps be long enough?

Will a 0° TQ/UQ set with overstuff be adequate? Will we need to take special precautions due to the length of the trip and snow derating our down quilts over time? I just got a fleece TQ from Dutchware and really like it. Should I take that and should it go on the inside or outside of the TQ? If this goes on the inside, can it substitute for a sleeping base layer?

I have ordered a top cover for my Raven hammock. Will just the one standard vent be sufficient? I will be using a UGQ Winterdream 11’ tarp with snaps on the doors. It has internal pole mods. Should I bring the poles?

Are two base layers enough? One for hiking, one for camping and sleeping, is what I’m thinking. Or should I bring a 3rd in case somehow, they both get wet?

For a stove, we were planning on each of us taking a Solo Stove Lite (twig stove) with a Toaks 1100ml pot/pan set. What would be the best firestarter to bring? Charcloth and matches? Should we bring alcohol stoves as backup? How much fuel, if so? What’s a good windscreen? Folded up foil?

Can we do without a snow shovel and just use our ice axes, if need be?

Do you have any recommendations for goggles and face masks?

Would it be a good idea to switch to a bladder and insulated hose system to keep the water warm?

I’m looking for whatever advice and recommendations you may have. These are just the questions running through my mind at the moment and I will inevitably come back here and ask some more once I remember the rest.