Sharing an email sent Brian on February 7th. I waited to post this observation here in case he had anything to add which might provide additional insight or suggestions, but have not heard from him yet. This was sent about a week after receipt of the McCatt Ultra Spinn recently ordered. I was pleased with the order turn around time given his student schedule.

Brian,
I can see why you get such rave reviews on quality. Knowing how important that is to you, I wanted to let you know that it appears the plastic D-rings may be a bad lot. I set the tarp up in 10-15MPH breezes and temps in the mid-20's rising to low 30's today. Sometime today, one of the ridgeline D-rings broke. I tied them directly to a tree rather than setting up an actual ridgeline to attach them to because I thought they were intended to be used either way. I think that is what you intend, but let me know if I am wrong. Fortunately, it was a clean crack all the way through so it did not break into pieces. I plan to super glue it and probably reinforce with duct tape unless you have a better recommendation from experience.

I am not asking you to do anything, just wanted you to be aware of this for quality control. I do think I should suggest to HF members that either the use of an actual ridgeline or some reinforcement with duct tape would be in order for these D rings in colder temps unless you have better information to share on this. An experience of one, while 100% for me, is of course not indicative of a pattern, but worth paying attention to.

Let me know if I can help with any more information, Mike (Hokie)