I wanted to hear some other folks thoughts on potential issues with this, but here'e my idea. On my last long distance hike I had a couple of problems with my tarp and hammock set up.

Issue:

1) Hard the tarp close enough to the top of the hammock to keep out bad weather in storms with blowing winds because of the hammock suspension getting in the way. I was able to keep my critical down dry with a bivy sack but all my gear under the tarp looked like it was drug through a mud pit and I have limited faith in DWR coatings over time.

2) Friction between the tarp line and the hammock suspension lines ate holes in my expensive kevlar suspension straps

3) I have to carry a separate 8 oz hammock summer sock to keep the rain off of my quilts

My proposed solution:

1) Get a shorter/wider tarp (10' length instead of 11') so that it can pitch closer to the hammock ridgeline, get closer to the ground, and still stay clear of the suspension lines

2) Get rid of the tarp line altogether. Replace the current 6" amsteel loops on my hammock with 15" loops from Dutch and then connect the tarp directly to the same toggle that I use to hang my hammock from the suspension with a shock cord loop at both ends (hammock is 9'6" at the ridgeline.)

3) Ditch the 8 oz summer sock

I'm thinking that this will work great but a new CF tarp is $$$$. I'd like to hear some thoughts on this before I pull the trigger on a purchase!

Thanks in advance!