So maybe I was looking for a problem to fix. And this is definitely one of those first world problems but what the heck. When I go on a long bike ride, visit a park with the kids, or on a day hike I usually take a hammock to chill in (ok usually nap in). However, one thing that always gets me is when the trees don't provide that perfect set of shade and you have the sun shinning right down in your face. Not only does it hinder the nap park but here in FL it get pretty hot when it's beating directly on you. Also if you looking to read on a phone or tablet, the brightness is just to much.

Yea a tarp would fix the issue but I don't want to have to carry a whole tarp with all the lines and stakes. Plus a tarp, even in porch mode, blocks a good amount of breeze that I usually covet.

So today with some time on my hands and some extra silnylon laying around I thought I'd try something that came to my while hanging in my sunny spot in the back yard...a nap shade.

I started with a triangle piece of silnylon 1 yard wide and 2 yards high. I fortified the corners with some xenon fabric I had left over from another project. I sewed a mitten hook on each corner with some 1/4in grosgrain. At the peak of the triangle I attached an 8in continuous loop of shock cord.

Now off to the hammock...I was able to attacked the nap shade to my ridge line using the mitten hooks on the two short side corners with some zingit continuous loops I had in a prusik knot. From there I was able to use one stake and simple loop the shock cord loop around the stake. It did the job! Provided the shade that I needed and didn't block hardly any of the gentle breeze we were getting today. Also didn't block much of the view from the hammock, which will be nice when the scenery is nice.
It packs down really nice and weighs very little (hadn't gottten an actual weight, but if anyone is interested in the weight I can see about weighing it). It also is very easy to move around if you find your shade needs adjusting.
Didn't get any pics today, but I'll try and take some tomorrow of it all setup.