Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Making DIY quilts easier

Hi friends,

I recently embarked on doing my own DIY/MYOG top quilt, an EE design with a footbox (I'm not done yet).

So far I invested:
    a) $55 in material (excluding down stuffing), Ion fabric from Dutchware
    b) 6 hours of research on materials, down types, designs, sewing techniques, things needed etc
    c) 7 hours on pattern making, taping pattern to the fabric and cutting
    d) 8 hours sewing baffles to the bottom sheet (first time sewing)

Some things I've learned:
    a) Took a lot of time getting the pattern to the fabric and taping baffles before sewing
    b) Getting the stitch right:
    i) I had researched and tried #3 stitch length, #4 thread, 70/40 Gutermann thread, #60/8 sewing needle
    ii) I think this might work better: lower weight thread (maybe Tex-30 thread), and #9 or #10 needle
    c) making sure the material doesn't bunch up below as you are feeding the fabric into the machine, this happened a few times, accidentally sewing the fabric to itself in unwanted places. It's hard when managing a large piece of fabric.
    d) masking tape messing up the needle, this happened a few times causing the thread to bunch up. I would have to cut and restart with a sew over.

It would be great to get resources together from what others have learned. On future projects, I would like to figure out a way to digitally printing the pattern to the fabric, then using 1/4 inch double sided fabric tape to tape down baffles before sewing (instead of using needles). I think you can print autocad blueprints for like $4 for a 80x60 inch paper, maybe then trace it with transfer iron ink, then iron the pattern onto the fabric?

Also I found there isn't a lot of detailed step by step instructions on how to property sew and attached foot boxes and sew the footbox seam nicely. The best one I found was here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=56730

Winston
    IMG_4530.jpg
    Last edited by winstwu; 09-03-2017 at 21:04.

• + New Posts