Newbie poster here.

The wife and I have backpacked into the Sierras 4 times this summer, probably the highlight being a two night stay at Grouse Lake in Desolation Wilderness about a month ago. Today, we just got back from camping at nearby Wrights Lake and for my first time as a hammock camper, the weather turned stormy and we had about 20-30 minutes of lightning and heavy rain, followed by another 30 min of steady rain. My tarp did a great job of keeping me dry during some fairly heavy rain, my only regret was not pitching my hammock about 6"-12" higher. Splatter from heavier downpours were able to splash bug net and UQ from below. Lesson learned.

Ok, one sort of wisdom says having your hammock strapped to two of the tallest objects in the area during an active lightning storm might be taking a serious risk. Another path of logic says I'm insulated as long as the water breaks you installed (yes, I'm proud to say they worked well) keep you dry....note to self: look up conductivity ratings for Dutchware straps and Amsteel Whoopies.....

So here's my question: what do experienced hammock campers do during lightning storms? Do you think your risk of being struck by lightning is offset by other factors and you stay put (in your hammock)? If so, what is your logic.

If not, and you believe there is a heightened risk off being struck be lightning, what do you do? Where do you go?

BTW, I stayed in my hammock and there was a small stream/puddle eventually taking over about 2/3 of my covered area making a dry exit unlikely. Fortunately, all my gear was safely stowed elsewhere, so my primary concern was how safe am I in this hammock? Say there's a serious storm at 2 am...what to do?

Thanks in advance for your insights.