Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

Silpoly tarp - hopes crushed within 5 minutes

I had high hopes for my new .93 membrane silpoly tarp. After using two tarps made from silnylon for 5 years, I thought the poly would be the perfect material to do everything nylon could, but without the sag when wet.

So I went on a dayhike to set up and test everything out. I hung my hammock and attached the tarp to each tree. Before I could guy it out, the tarp brushed up against some branches above. Nothing out of the ordinary; I've never babied my silpoly in the past. But I soon noticed a hole in my tarp! Then another...then another...then another...

I want to make it clear that I'm pretty much comparing apples to apples here in terms of useage. Yes snakeskins would have prevented it from blowing into the branch, but I didn't use skins for the first 5 years of hanging tarps and had no problems there. I can patch these holes, but if these first 5 minutes are any indication of how things are going to go moving forward, I don't want to bother.

Now I can't knock the material manufacturer or tarp maker; they provided a really nice product and it is what it is. But I'm wondering if this is approaching "stupid light"? After all, a tarp is really your only protection from the elements...quite an important piece of gear.

I know I already complained about cuben, now this. I guess I want to have my cake, eat it, save a piece for later, all for 0 calories and 0 fat. It's not gonna happen, so I guess I need to stick with what I know.

Just an FYI from someone that takes really good care of his gear. If you've purchased anything from me in the past, you know. $160 blown I guess I'll try and sell it cheap.

I guess kitsapcowboy was right on this one.

Last edited by OneClick; 02-14-2017 at 11:25.

• + New Posts