Sideview.jpg

Description

Vega is a short underquilt filled with goose down of 700 fp. Its weight is exactly 362 g or 12.77 oz stuff sack not included. The stuff sack adds another 23 g or 0.81 oz.
The underquilt dimension is 46“ x 45” or 117 cm x 114 cm.
It is a so called 3 season quilt and because of its low weight it is the perfect solution for anybody wanting to save some weight in the backpack.
I ordered it on Ebay for £95 and £10 shipping or $129 without taxes at the time I wrote the report.

Workmanship

Stitching.jpg
Precise stitching but stitched through with the potential of creating a thermal bridge, so no H-chamber system or alike. But I never ran into any problems staying in the temperature range it is made for as a 3 season quilt.

DifferentialCut.jpg
The quilt is crafted with a differential cut. The inner shell is smaller than the outer shell causing the quilt to wrap around you.

Setup

Suspension with one drawcord tunneled through the sides. This allows for adjusting it while resting in the hammock. Two additional drawcords allow adjusting along the front and back side of the quilt.
Simple. No further gimmicks, no secondary suspension but I could not recognize any crumpling together no accordion effect since using it.

SBiner.jpg
I decided using three S-Biner. Two are for clipping in the suspension and one is for better adjusting the lower suspension by pulling it up to the ridgeline about foot high.
Thanks to Shug for all the above.

Usage

I have used the Vega around 20 times now and have to admit that I ran into a problem with a gap along the side not keeping the warmth in… cold butt syndrome. So James, the man behind blueskylavender, helped me out a lot and, of course, Shug.
You really have to tighten the drawcords more than you'd believe and the trick with pulling the suspension up to the ridgeline finally did it. Happy and cosy now.
Should any beginner read this you can save a lot of time by visiting Shugs YouTube channel “shugemery” and I am really greatful for the time he spend filming and explaining the typical errors.

Conclusion

I tested it down to 6°C or 43°F and was absolutely ok and in temperatures above 10°C or 50°F it is just great. I generally sleep in my clothing and only get out of my jacket, which I use as a pillow. Testing will continue now that temperatures finally drop.
I wanted a short underquilt (seeing one on Shugs channel) because it is sufficient for 85% of my needs. Because of the reduzed size in comparison to a full length quilt you save a lot of weight and solace in my backpack and I really do not need the insulation on my legs. I wanted a really light and small quilt that I can also use as additional insulation in winter inside a bigger winter quilt or as an emergency blanket.
Packaging is great with a weight off less than 400 g or 14 oz and the compressed size of a grapefruit it fits in any bag.
No idea how 850 fp down would feel or how much warmer it would be but I am absolutely happy with what I got. Goodies from the US are way more expensive over here in Europe, since you have to pay shipping of about $50 and then there is a close to 30% tax on top. So for example a Warbonnet Yeti, that you can compare to the Vega, end up costing more than double the price I had to pay for the Vega.
Agreed, there are more features that could have been packed into the system like H-system chamber system or 850 fp down or secondary suspension or an additional heat retaining channel along the sides etc.
But taking into regard what you get for your bucks and how it performs… full points from me.