Well if I crash and burn, I'm blaming Dhagan. Seriously though, I'm a brand new member here looking for a hang and Dhagan suggested that I start my own. Most embarrassing part of this is I don't own a hammock yet, but if the noob can't find a good hang without breaking the bank, he might as well bring the hang to him. Since there's only one state park near Dothan that allows camping, let's start with that. It's called the Little Chattahoochee State Park, and it's on Highway 84 East on the far side of Gordon AL. It's run by an older couple who are able to have their home on the parkland in exchange for maintaining the area. They're good Christian people, but in case that turns some of you off, they'll leave you be as long as you're not drinking, making enough noise to wake the dead, or taking pock shots at small critters without a license. Their facilities are wonderful! Bathrooms complete with showers and dressing stalls, and their toilet stalls are so clean, you can lay out your dinner and eat on the toilet seats. The dozen or so campsites are strung around a beaver pond extended by an earthen dam, and each have a picnic table, a standing grill, and a metal fire ring. Firewood is plentiful, just bring your axes, hatchets, and saws, and the trees framing the campsites are to this noob, just begging for hammocks. While there are a few hiking trails, think more in terms of fat man friendly. The trails are mostly level, and unless they pass through swampy areas, or have fallen trees, they're probably better described as "nature walk trails". Camping is about $9 a night.

Now you know the place, but what about the hang? Well, since is the first time I've tried to orchestrate a hang, I really could use a lot of advice, but what I'm thinking is to get at least a dozen people onboard so I can call up the Little Chattahoochee State Park and get something started. My assumption is that while the park is open to anyone who wants to camp, we'll want to schedule the hang weeks or even a month ahead of time, and mail in our fees to secure adjacent campsites. Also since we're talking about the Dirty South, it's probably best that we tentatively schedule the hang for early October to ensure we are in fact comfortable as opposed to suffering heat exhaustion, second degree burns, and instant mummification.

Well, that's pretty much it in a nutshell. If you're interested, please reply both on the thread and in a private message. If I hit the magic number 12, the hang is on!