Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Not another bloody Australian

That's right - not content with your bars and backpacker hostels, now we're invading your campsites.

I'm actually a long time lurker on this site. I'm a keen and I'd say reasonably experienced ultralight hiker and climber of at least 10 years now, both down under and abroad. I regularly spend long periods on the road just generally travelling, and I'm always interested in finding or making good gear that hels you get further out there.

Like most modern hiker-types, I've been a big fan of ultralight shaped tarp shelters, but a recent extended trip overseas got me thinking about trying out hammocks (again). No denying that have some big pluses to offer. So after several months trawling old threads around here, I made the call and picked up Warbonnet Blackbird.

And I hate the thing.

I'll make another thread about my problems in the relevant forum, but after several weeks of experimenting, I am encountering all the same problems I had when I first tried hammocks some years ago, but I thought were 'fixed' in proper, modern hikers hammocks like the Blackbird. Not one to simply give up and pack it in, I figured now was the time to make an account, post up, and see what I can learn.

So let's see how it goes.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Glider-Nylon DIY
    Insulation
    DIY-UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hi Martius,

Welcome to the forum !

I think you will overcome the problems after a while (after all the fiddling). Or you try a bridge-hammock !?

Greetings,
    Ben.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    welcome, martius.

is jo jo zepp and the falcons still around?

about the warbonnet. not sure what your complaints are, but i'll venture a guess and add comments based on what i hear and see with folks getting hammocked.

in my personal opinion, most folks overdo the "flat" lay concept. that is to say the implied goal seems to be on-a-plank flat. no usable fabric can do that in a packable hammock design [again; my opinion]. i've yet to encounter a hammock that doesn't have some sort of knee bend. if there is no knee bend, the usually the feet are elevated such that there's no support under the knee around. both of these are due to 1) inherent design, and 2) the position of the person.

what specific problems are you encountering? lots of warbonnet guys here; i'm one of them.

cheers, and again, welcome.

sv-

Hey wow, talk about quick replies. Thanks folks

So here's my summary of problems encountered - https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...73#post1553473

I wasn't expecting 'lay flat' to be 'plank flat'....but this thing is just not flat at all. I've set it up in a multitude of ways, from as-per warbonnets videos, to tighter, looser, one end higher, other end higher.....nope No sale. I cannot see how any outside person could consider it in any way 'flat'. I've sat in recliner chairs that were flatter.

For a side-sleeper, it's just impossibly uncomfortable. Which is really surprising, because n my research I read heaps of people on here (with WBBB's) say they're happy hammock side-sleepers. That was one of the chef reasons I went for it.

I won't even get into how disappointed I am and how heavy and bulky it is too...

Hammock
    yukon outfitters w/ net
    Tarp
    Paha Que double
    Insulation
    50 degree sleeping
    Suspension
    dutch w/ cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by Martius View Post
    Hey wow, talk about quick replies. Thanks folks

So here's my summary of problems encountered - https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...73#post1553473

I wasn't expecting 'lay flat' to be 'plank flat'....but this thing is just not flat at all. I've set it up in a multitude of ways, from as-per warbonnets videos, to tighter, looser, one end higher, other end higher.....nope No sale. I cannot see how any outside person could consider it in any way 'flat'. I've sat in recliner chairs that were flatter.

For a side-sleeper, it's just impossibly uncomfortable. Which is really surprising, because n my research I read heaps of people on here (with WBBB's) say they're happy hammock side-sleepers. That was one of the chef reasons I went for it.

I won't even get into how disappointed I am and how heavy and bulky it is too...
    sounds like someone needs a bridge hammock

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    I could solve all your problems.... just send it to me in Christmas wrapping & I'll take off your hands.

Road tripping with my family from Brissy to Cairns.
    I'm a stone's throw from pounding waves, the sun is just about to peak over the horizon and I'm snug as bug in a rug, insulation free....protected from the sand flies & mossies in my Hennessey.
    All is good with the world.

Last edited by ofuros; 12-07-2015 at 13:45.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome to the forums Martius.

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    Welcome Mate!
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppellin
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Welcome mate! WBBB fan here! I just did an Outback trip with it, and I also had a really nice hang on Great Keppel Isalnd. I'm on my way up the East Coast right now looking for two coconut palms to hang between

Well, after my trial and tribulation my hammocking journey is over.

Anybody want a 1.7 DL Warbonnet?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast