Trip Report for dayhike on the Ice Age Trail in the Kettle Moraine State Forest - Southern Unit from Shelter #2 (near Forest Headquarters on Hwy 59) to Shelter #3 (near Duffin Rd).

IAT overview sign at FHQ

Ever eager to get outdoors, and especially eager to scout out this route ahead of our upcoming trip, it didn't take much convincing on Goobie's part for me to find a way to join him for an end of the week dayhiking trip on the IAT. After dumping my truck on Duffin Rd near Shelter #3 we drove to the KMSF-SU Forest Headquarters (aka FHQ) on Hwy 59 near Eagle, WI. Unfortunately the building was closed this early in the morning. Really wanted to see the guest book with the people who have hiked significant sections of the IAT in the KMSF-SU. Also to find out what it takes to be among them.

Trail sign to Shelter #2 aka S2

Having just made the trek from Shelter #2 (aka S2) to Shelter #3 (aka S3), I am thinking that a patch or some such memento to commemorate the hike at the end of July this year would be a good way to keep the memories alive into the future.

View from S2

View of outhouse from inside S2