So, this is my first real post here on hammock forums. This place rocks. I have learned an absurd amount by just lurking and reading other posts. I have made my own hammock, top quilt, and suspension based on the information here.

So what brings me out of the shadows? Well, I have a question about the under quilt I am making.

For a little background, it is going to be, approximately, 45" wide, 56" long (3/4 length). I am using orange Argon 90 from Dutch for the shell and liner, and the insulation is 3.6oz/sqyd Apex, also from Dutch.

My question is, how do I construct a head-hole in the middle of this under quilt so that I can wear it around like like a very stylish serape? I am thinking a simple, straight slit will be the easiest approach, and I did a mock up with Tyvek to make sure I would get the hole size large enough, buy not too large, and enough coverage out of the quilt without it being to long or annoying.

How do you make the head slit? How do I seal that slit while it is quilt mode so you don't get a slice of frozen butt? I have some ideas, but any insight from more experienced MYOG folk would be greatly appreciated.

You guys are the coolest.

-MattK