Hi All! I'm a college student currently residing in the Hudson Valley NY area and am a bit new to the hammock camping lifestyle but I'm trying to establish a good gear system. When my brother and I first got our hammocks a few summers ago we over-zealously went on an overnight trip on the AT with just our hammocks and sleeping bags which, not surprisingly, turned out to be a disaster. Since then I have purchased some much-needed accessories, including a bug net, a cheap tarp, and a HG Incubator 20* which will hopefully get here soon (I’m sure they’re swamped from the holidays!), and I still plan on using my 20* synthetic sleeping bag on top. I’m trying to winterize my gear without breaking the bank and my budget went about as far as the Incubator. I know I’m lacking on legit gear but my question to you experts is, will I survive a northeast winter hang if I throw in an insulated foam pad and some warm clothes? Mind you, the tarp that I have is a 9x12’ $10 blue tarp until I can afford something better.

As far as testing my gear overnight, I don’t think I’m experienced enough to do a solo trip and I’m seriously lacking outdoorsy friends. I really want to show up at a hang but I first want to make sure I’m not grossly unprepared. Thanks and nice to meet you all!