Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Every time

Ridgerunner with Superfly - Closing the Doors

I'm currently using a Superfly with my ridgerunner. I love the tarp and the hammock but with winter coming I wouldn't mind being able to close the doors just a little bit more. I know many folks re-splice the suspension dogbones on the ridgerunner a bit shorter to decrease the overall length of the hang.

To shorten the triangles just enough to get the doors closed, I simply spliced a locked brummel onto the end of a 2 foot piece of amsteel. I'm able to lark's head this loop around both suspension lines and cinch them together about 6-8 inches back. With a few creative knots, this holds everything together. This allows me to close the doors of the Superfly almost completely without modifying the original suspension. Not using the doors? Just remove the loop and hang from the hardware buckle until you need it.

Works well but I'm sure this community can take this concept and make it better. Any suggestions on an ideal knot or hardware piece?

Pardon the terrible phone picture...and I just have the loop wrapped once to show the concept.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

2014-10-07 09.38.19.jpg

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ 13' WD w/poles
    Insulation
    20* HG/UGQ Quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar/amsteel
    So you are shortening the suspension triangle by tieing the two sides together?
    What is the suspension side to spreader bar ratio end up to be?
    Depending on the bar diameter and your weight you may be fine but hopefully your still within specs.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GravityOutdoors View Post
    snip... I know many folks re-splice the suspension dogbones on the ridgerunner a bit shorter to decrease the overall length of the hang.
    To shorten the triangles just enough to get the doors closed,
    Many folks have done this here on HF?
    Shorting the triangle will make the hammock very tippy.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 10-10-2014 at 08:17.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    Acer did several variations on the Ridgerunner's suspension triangle, shortening both head and foot ends to fit better under his HG cuben fiber tarp, a while ago now.

This is the thread describing his experiments, which may give an idea about how much suspension can be shortened without making the RR too tippy (at least, when the short extension piece of the head spreader bar is removed): https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...n-of-RR-Bridge

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I shortened the foot end triangle to 29" and the head end to 37". I keep the 4" spreader bar in and I don't feel any difference in the 'tippiness'. The shorter you go with the triangles the more compression tension is placed on the spreader bars so there is a safe limit.
    Anyway, it shortens up the suspension enough to give a better closing for the doors.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Every time
    Yes, and yes. I was hesitant to modify the existing suspension...so I accomplished the same end by using an amsteel larks head just below the bury portion. I have the 'latest' ridgerunner with the beefy spreader bars and I weigh 185. Figured I was in the safety zone in terms of stress on the bars. I like that it can be done and undone as the conditions dictate.

This hammock is what keeps me hammock'n.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Don't close up your Superfly too tightly or it'll get frosty in there.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by GravityOutdoors View Post
    Yes, and yes. I was hesitant to modify the existing suspension...so I accomplished the same end by using an amsteel larks head just below the bury portion. I have the 'latest' ridgerunner with the beefy spreader bars and I weigh 185. Figured I was in the safety zone in terms of stress on the bars. I like that it can be done and undone as the conditions dictate.

This hammock is what keeps me hammock'n.
    Can you explain further, please? I kept the original triangle pieces so it might be nice to have the changeability.
    And I agree - I wasn't totally sold on hammocking until I got the Ridgerunner.

Whoops - never mind - I just realized that you described it in your original post. I'll study that a bit before i ask any more questions...
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    I think it looks like a great workaround. Does it actually stay in place all night when you move around/change positions in the hammock?

Would be good to see another angle of your gadget. Is it just amsteel cord with a spliced loop in the end?

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Every time
    Yes, just 24" of amsteel with a loop spliced on the end. I larks head around both of the lines just below the bury. Then I just start getting creative with a bunch of ugly what-knots. Holds just fine...although it's the thickness of the bury portion that keep it from sliding up to the apex. Hope this makes sense.

• + New Posts