Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    KAQ, UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    That is exactly how it's done f k. I also need a shoulder sized vent around 35F. Thanks so much for the report.
    How do you like your T-Bird?
    I love it!! Well worth the money i paid for it. There are things i would change and add on if i had the chance, but only because i am a tinkerer / gear addict, not because i dissatisfied with it or the quality, and I have found that like someone mentioned in another thread, having a little slack in the ridgeline is nice. The over cover was fantastic for me on my abbreviated hike because that night it was pretty windy. We were just below the highest point in SC with this cold front moving in. We hit the top took a picture of the plaque at the summit and moved into the trees to setup camp. With all of the wind and rain i was quite comfortable all night and i attribute a lot of that to the over cover that kept the wind off me. I was on a hill and setup perpendicular to the slope so one side of my tarp was pegged to the ground directly through the tie outs. Other side was low and that kept a good bit of wind at bay but it would come through the ends from time to time and the over cover made not having doors insignificant to me.

Sorry for rambling...

Hammock
    DHTBird,WBBB.draumrxl
    Tarp
    Camo Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie *snicker*
    So I have about a dozen nights with the vented overcover. I have had no buildup to a low of 22F at this point. I think it works great. Definitely seems to be warmer.
    If it moves, you can eat it. No promises you will think it tastes good.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Recently camped with lows in the 30's along side a river. I was using a WB XLC with the top cover completely closed up. Woke up 3hrs into the night and the top cover was completely soaked. Well I opened it fully after that. My UQ was weighted, damp and hanging low. Not sure if any of the moisture transferred down to it due to the moisture build up inside the hammock, but I spent the night a bit chilly. I would never close it completely up again. On the flip side, Gallo was using his new DH with a vent. I do not believe he had any issues. I am looking to buy a DH for other reasons other then the top. I'm not sure I am interested in anything other then the bug net at this point. I'll be watching this thread for more info. Hope this helps.

Hammock
    WBBB/DH sparrow
    Tarp
    Superfly/UGQ WB 11
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    elephant trunks
    L
    Quote Originally Posted by Oms View Post
    Recently camped with lows in the 30's along side a river. I was using a WB XLC with the top cover completely closed up. Woke up 3hrs into the night and the top cover was completely soaked. Well I opened it fully after that. My UQ was weighted, damp and hanging low. Not sure if any of the moisture transferred down to it due to the moisture build up inside the hammock, but I spent the night a bit chilly. I would never close it completely up again. On the flip side, Gallo was using his new DH with a vent. I do not believe he had any issues. I am looking to buy a DH for other reasons other then the top. I'm not sure I am interested in anything other then the bug net at this point. I'll be watching this thread for more info. Hope this helps.
    that was a great weekend had great time Oms!! I though the low was low to mid 20 ..do remember lots of moisture and that Saturday night getting into hammock the underneath of my tarp under quilt protector and top of my overcover was covered with frost...on the inside was dry and nice and warm....I do have a doubled over cover though on my Thunderbird if that makes a differents and I had absolutely no problems.. but that is my second time using the Hammack and the lowest temp I had it in...definitely want to check it out in lower temperatures do believe that vent does help image.jpgimage.jpg
    Last edited by Gallo; 12-14-2014 at 14:21.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123