Tarp
    HHhex, WBsuperfly
    Insulation
    UGQ, diy
    Suspension
    Becket hitch!!

freezing in a jungle safari zip

Hi all, newb here
    Last weekend I took my new HH jungle safari zip out for its first overnite (away from home). I brought the double-bubble pad it came with and a 20F bag that I used as a quilt. It got down to 41F with a very light breeze and I was pretty cold, eventually wearing all my layers and even then not comfortable...warm on top and cold on bottom. disappointing, as I bought their heaviest hammock with double-bottom specifically so I could use a pad.

So I called up HH and they graciously offered to swap me for an explorer deluxe + supershelter...So my question to you experienced hangers is, what kind of temperature capability should I expect from this new setup? under cover is silnylon so it should block the wind more effectively and underpad is open cell foam 5/8" thick.

thanks for any and all help.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Personally I would keep the Safari, Assuming your happy with it as a Hammock, and invest in a treated down 20* Under quilt from one of the Vendors here.
    Life will be really really cozy then.
    Seriously consider that route instead of the Super Shelter system
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    Hennesy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac/Owyhee
    First I'm not surprised by the customer service at all...... just first class.

I have the Deep Jungle and like the bubble pad in the 50 to 70 degree range. I'm extra happy with my AHE Potomac UQ. It's rated down to 25 degrees. I would definitely have it deployed at 41....

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    OK...one thing you'll learn about the HHSS (supershelter) system is that its effectiveness is something that has folks on either side of the spectrum...and very few users in the middle.

Some folks have noted that it doesn't function well for them at all. They get cold in it...sometimes even around 50F.

Others have used it to some seriously crazy extremes...there was one post where someone had used it to -29F.

Personally, I have the HH Explorer Deluxe, and the HHSS, and I've successfully used it down to about 18F with some pretty strong winds. I was using a military ICW (Intermediate Cold Weather) sleeping bag inside the hammock, and I can't recall if I added a fleece blanket or poncho liner on top of the HHSS at the time or not. I ALWAYS use the space blanket that Hennessy recommends when using the HHSS. The time I refer to above, I was toasty warm. And I do not wear all of my gear/clothes to sleep in. I use a seperate set of wool socks, and usually sleep in a seperate set of mid-layer 'woolies' only for sleeping. It keeps the sweat out, and the warm in.

It really is up to you on which way you want to go with this. If I were you, I'd look at what conditions you intend to camp in the most. If you plan on camping in mostly warmer weather, I'd stick with the jungle hammock...the double layer is great protection against mosquitos, and you can add extra pads in there to supplement your under-insulation for the few times you go out when it's colder.

If you're planning on mostly winter camping, it's a little more convoluted. You can try out the HHSS...you might be someone like me who uses it very successsfully. But if you're not... And if you can afford to invest in a quality underquilt, that's something that is pretty surefire to work for anyone, on most any hammock.

Clear as mud?

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I agree with the assessment of the double bubble mentioned above as I've used it with my HHDJ.

I've never used the HHSS, but my understanding is that the main rap on it is not its effectiveness, but poor durability. Adding a space blanket to the system adds a vapor barrier that many folks would also recommend against.

Here's the thing:

Over the years I have seen many people come up with many ways to avoid the purchase of an underquilt. With the exception of a very few, they end up buying an underquilt---and they do that after spending a lot of money trying NOT to buy an underquilt.

If you are just getting into hammock camping at this time of year and you can't afford the purchase of an underquilt that will protect you in the climate in which you will be camping, my recommendation would be to go back to tent camping until next spring and use that time to save enough money and to buy a good underquilt and to research that purchase.

For comparison, here's my experience last night. I slept in my HH Exped. Temps started around 52 when I went to sleep and bottomed out around 45, though the thermometer read 46 when I got up at 5am. I was comfortable and slept well. Here's what I used:

Clothing:
    -sweatpants
    - long sleeve pajama top
    - wool socks
    - stocking cap

Sleeping bag used as a sleeping bag; I was inside it with it eventually zipped up most of the way. It's a VERY old bag I've owned since 1978 with 2.5 pounds of Hollowfill which was probably state of the art then but is quite ancient now. It was advertised as a 25 degree bag, but I think a more realistic assessment would be a 40 degree bag, especially given its age.

Under me I had a CCF pad cut into two separate pieces to make it bend better, stuffed into a homemade SPE with wings at the shoulders. I also had a small piece of reflectix or something similar under my feet.

I did not use a tarp at all and there was no wind. I think the no wind part is key. I believe the difference in my experience and yours is that I had better insulation UNDER me (and less wind and slightly higher temperatures).

Trading the hammock seems a bit drastic after only one poor experience. If you're not yet in the market for an underquilt, here's what I'd try before trading in the Safari.
    1) Try a better pad than just the bubble thing alone. CCF pads are very cheap or if you've got something like a Thermarest, try that.
    2) Instead of using the bag as a quilt, use it as a bag and sleep inside it. Yes, you'll compress insulation and lose protection, but you won't lose ALL of it; it'll just be reduced.

What I'm counseling is to learn how to keep warm with a pad first before changing hammocks. I don't have an opinion on the SS versus underquilts since I own neither (but want both!).
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    HH, AGG
    Tarp
    HHhex, WBsuperfly
    Insulation
    UGQ, diy
    Suspension
    Becket hitch!!
    Thanks, good comments. I was avoiding an UQ due to cost, but it sounds like maybe the best performing option. Any hope for closed cell foam pads to perform as well? Some of them are at least cheap.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Tarp
    hennessy rain fly
    Suspension
    readystraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikecop View Post
    Hi all, newb here
    Last weekend I took my new HH jungle safari zip out for its first overnite (away from home). I brought the double-bubble pad it came with and a 20F bag that I used as a quilt. It got down to 41F with a very light breeze and I was pretty cold, eventually wearing all my layers and even then not comfortable...warm on top and cold on bottom. disappointing, as I bought their heaviest hammock with double-bottom specifically so I could use a pad.

So I called up HH and they graciously offered to swap me for an explorer deluxe + supershelter...So my question to you experienced hangers is, what kind of temperature capability should I expect from this new setup? under cover is silnylon so it should block the wind more effectively and underpad is open cell foam 5/8" thick.

thanks for any and all help.
    My question is why did you only use the sleeping bag as a quilt? so your saying you had nothing under you other then the pad?? If so theres your problem, still losing heat by convection...get in the sleeping bag and you will be fine!. Did you use a fly? anything to block any wind underneath you will make a drastic change as well. No need for a underquilt.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikecop View Post
    Thanks, good comments. I was avoiding an UQ due to cost, but it sounds like maybe the best performing option. Any hope for closed cell foam pads to perform as well? Some of them are at least cheap.
    Anything below the tarp that is not breathable will result in a sweaty back/general overall clamyness since your perspiration has no place to go except into your cloths and TQ/SB.
    Checkout www.arrowhead-equipment.com I believe they have an UQ that is cheaper than the HHSS system.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Over the years I have seen many people come up with many ways to avoid the purchase of an underquilt. With the exception of a very few, they end up buying an underquilt---and they do that after spending a lot of money trying NOT to buy an underquilt.
    This. 1000 times this. Guilty as charged.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast