Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    I can totally relate to nobody appreciating the DIY hammock stuff. I feel like a grandma knitting, making things that most people don't appreciate how much effort and expertise went into it. Oh well, I make hammock stuff and they are experts in the Kardashians. Different strokes.

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    Ah, a splice of life. For it will only grow from here. I, too, just did my first splice last week while my wife taunted me for doing "camp crafts" but that splice turned into a ridge line for her new hammock that I made from the tablecloth factory.com's tablecloth. She slept in it for 3 hours and then said I'm going back to bed, goodnight… I'm going to convert her yet, you will see!

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    She also wondered why my mother gave me a sewing machine for Christmas instead of her.

Hammock
    BIAS
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Hammockgear 3/4
    Suspension
    HammockFan Anchors
    I'm fortunate enough to work at a job where there is much splicing all around. My non-coworkers think I'm nuts.

Banned
    Hammock
    warbonnet, dream hammock
    Tarp
    edge, superfly
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by ampersand View Post
    Everyone in the household thinks it's silly how excited I've been about hammocking, so of course my first splice meant absolutely nothing to them. Still, I was pretty excited — probably too excited.

I spliced a Dutch hook onto a locked brommel in 1.75mm Zing-It, which I plan to use as a continuous ridgeline on my new tarp. I used a small splicing needle, then a loop turner tool for the bury. Both came from Dutch's website.

Here's the splice:

Attachment 93818

And here's the full ridgeline (it's intentionally long):

Attachment 93822

Thanks so much to the friendly folks on here who unknowingly led me through the process. Here were a couple of the most helpful links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUwd6jNuzIE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xsKZCIKSJM
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Locked-Brummel

I didn't expect how satisfying it'd be to have a new skill under my belt. Tonight after dinner I'm planning to start working on a pair of dogbone Amsteel extenders for my too-short tree straps!
    im not any where near ya but I appreciate it! I feel its very hard to splice little line

I can completely relate, I did my first Brummel and bury for a CRL last week and was tickled to death, my wife however was surprisingly um emotional about my success. my oldest grandson thought it was pretty neat though so all is good. I was so excited I used my last bit of amsteel to make the grandson a CRL. I watched a you tube vid twice to learn and it was several hours before I could try it and I was surprised I remembered.

a tip: I thought for sure if the 6 inches of bury in the vid was good surely a foot would be great, well it works but not as smooth as a shorter bury.

creek

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    Klymit Luxe
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    I did my first splicing last night. Two 8" continuous loops, eight brummel eye's for tarp guy lines. My wife was not impressed nor amused that I stayed up REALLY late working on it.

Hammock
    DIY Hyper D 1.1 gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie
    My first amsteel purchase was 25' feet from dutch.. on a whim. An impulse buy.
    I made some soft shackles, a continuous loop here or there.. and I felt fine.
    Then my amsteel was all gone. I bought another 25'. The second stash went faster than the first.
    That's when I did it.. I bought the 600' spool. Sure I'll split this with friends I told myself.

Hi. My name is Chris. I am an amsteel addict.

Welcome to the club!

Quote Originally Posted by corrumpu View Post
    My first amsteel purchase was 25' feet from dutch.. on a whim. An impulse buy.
    I made some soft shackles, a continuous loop here or there.. and I felt fine.
    Then my amsteel was all gone. I bought another 25'. The second stash went faster than the first.
    That's when I did it.. I bought the 600' spool. Sure I'll split this with friends I told myself.

Hi. My name is Chris. I am an amsteel addict.

Welcome to the club!
    hey Chris, where in nw fla are you? I live about 50 miles sw of Tallahassee in the Apalachicola N.F.

creek

Hammock
    DIY Hyper D 1.1 gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by old creek View Post
    hey Chris, where in nw fla are you? I live about 50 miles sw of Tallahassee in the Apalachicola N.F.

creek
    I'm in Fort Walton Beach/Destin area. We need to get a thread going for a far west panhandle hang.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast