DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by emokid321 View Post
    It's still a little confusing, but your information was helpful. Thank you. So, I'm guessing Tapatalk has lots of different... Branches? Forums? Whatever they're called?
    (Forgive me if this covers things you already know - feel free to ignore if that's the case):

Tapatalk is an app that allows you to view any forum that uses the vbulletin platform (which Hammock Forums does), provided the forum admins install a particular plugin that allows it. It is not a forum in and of itself, just a vehicle by which you can access your favorite forums on your mobile device.

It (the app) allows you to search for forums that have tapatalk access enabled, and view/navigate those forums using the tapatalk interface - I think the idea is that it's difficult to peruse a forum using the browser on a cell phone, since it's so small and difficult to click links, etc.

The forum software (the platform that Hammockforums runs on) allows the owners of the site to set all sorts of various access restrictions and conditions as they see fit - for example, Hammock Forums sets a restriction that only allows access to an entire segment of the forum to donating members (paid access), and also sets a restriction that will not allow any member to start a new for sale thread until their post count hits 50 - these forum software restrictions apply when you are viewing on pretty much any browser (internet OR mobile). Tapatalk does not always adhere to these limitations, since it is a third party app (no affiliation with vBulletin or any of the forums you can view using the app) and the developers don't seem to be very good at keeping up with things or making effective changes.

Case in point - Tapatalk does not support post count limitations. However it does allow forum admins to disable the ability to start a new post in any given subforum. The forum administrators found this to be the only viable option, other than not allowing the use of Tapatalk (which would make a bunch of people cranky). The original thread, that you replied to, was someone seeking clarification on why this was, and the forum mods letting them know why the limitations have to exist.

Hope that helps!

Wow, it does help a lot. Thank you I guess this would explain why each time I try to comment on forums, the app asks me to pick a username and photograph for that particular forum

Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    (Forgive me if this covers things you already know - feel free to ignore if that's the case):

Tapatalk is an app that allows you to view any forum that uses the vbulletin platform (which Hammock Forums does), provided the forum admins install a particular plugin that allows it. It is not a forum in and of itself, just a vehicle by which you can access your favorite forums on your mobile device.

It (the app) allows you to search for forums that have tapatalk access enabled, and view/navigate those forums using the tapatalk interface - I think the idea is that it's difficult to peruse a forum using the browser on a cell phone, since it's so small and difficult to click links, etc.

The forum software (the platform that Hammockforums runs on) allows the owners of the site to set all sorts of various access restrictions and conditions as they see fit - for example, Hammock Forums sets a restriction that only allows access to an entire segment of the forum to donating members (paid access), and also sets a restriction that will not allow any member to start a new for sale thread until their post count hits 50 - these forum software restrictions apply when you are viewing on pretty much any browser (internet OR mobile). Tapatalk does not always adhere to these limitations, since it is a third party app (no affiliation with vBulletin or any of the forums you can view using the app) and the developers don't seem to be very good at keeping up with things or making effective changes.

Case in point - Tapatalk does not support post count limitations. However it does allow forum admins to disable the ability to start a new post in any given subforum. The forum administrators found this to be the only viable option, other than not allowing the use of Tapatalk (which would make a bunch of people cranky). The original thread, that you replied to, was someone seeking clarification on why this was, and the forum mods letting them know why the limitations have to exist.

Hope that helps!
    Oh, sorry, that previous comment of mine was for you. But I forgot to reply to your post specifically. Thank you for taking the time to explain those things to me

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12