Dutch Argon 11', Ridgerunner!
    Tarp
    SLD Custom RR Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ;SPk Cocoon
    Suspension
    Straps/Cinch Bckls

Hammock Ridgeline length for Dutch's Argon Hammocks

I got one of Dutch's famous Argon hammocks and it seems pretty good. I had to larkshead a loop around the end of the hammock to have a connection point for the suspension.

My question: what should the "standard" hammock ridgeline length be if we assume the famous 83% ratio? In theory the hammock length is 132 inches, but with the gathered end, and the larkshead, the hammock length as it lays is quite a bit shorter, maybe almost a foot less than 11'.

What would be the recommended hammock ridgeline length as a starting point? (I'm in search of the mythical perfect hang, a newbie fantasy)
    Last edited by goober; 09-25-2014 at 11:51.

Images
    A foot!?! wow that does not sound right.

Typical starting points for an 11' hammock RL is ~110"

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    It depends on where you are attaching the rl. if you are using a channel to cinch the end loop then you can either be with the cinch or over it. if the finished hammock is 11' then you should not loose any length to the rl if you are on the outside of the channel. If you are whipping the end or using the zip tie method usually the loop comes off of or through the center of the whipped end. you may then be attaching the rl to either the center or the outside.

Even if you done understand any of this ( I wouldn't blame you) I would just make an adjustable rl. If you can make a whoopie you can make one. I put arl on all the hammock I make. 83% may be ideal for some and not others. I take 83% and add 7 % to each side. so for example on a 11' hammock my arl would be 100" at its shortest and 118' at the longest. I then set is at 109".

Hammock
    NX250, Envy, Appalachian
    Tarp
    one with doors
    Insulation
    UGQ down
    Suspension
    straps & Dutch's
    this is the hardest thing to get "right". I too use an ARL because I got tired of wasting line on ridgelines that didn't work.
    Remember...no matter where you go...there you are.

"I have said that Texas is a state of mind, but I think it is more than that. It is a mystique closely approximating a religion". - John Steinbeck

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lostagain View Post
    this is the hardest thing to get "right". I too use an ARL because I got tired of wasting line on ridgelines that didn't work.
    Or you can go with no RL, many of us do. They are not required, except to keep an intigrated bugnet from tearing. They have just as many negatives as positives.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I take the finished hammock length, in inches and multiply by .83. Then I add 10% for the knots. Put a loop knot of your choice on each end and run the woopie through. Adjust the knots the change the length and cut/melt the ends.

Quote Originally Posted by goober View Post
    My question: what should the "standard" hammock ridgeline length be if we assume the famous 83% ratio? In theory the hammock length is 132 inches, but with the gathered end, and the larkshead, the hammock length as it lays is quite a bit shorter, maybe almost a foot less than 11'.

What would be the recommended hammock ridgeline length as a starting point?
    I've got an adjustable ridgeline on my 11-foot Dutchware argon hammock, and so far I keep settling in around 112 inches for ridgeline length. I've played with it as long as 118 inches, which leaves the ridgeline slack when I put my weight into the hammock. I've also tried as short as 104 inches, but found the ridgeline so tight it worried me and the sag on the hammock didn't suit me at all.

If we assume 132 inches as hammock length, then 112 is about 85 percent. I'm not sure whether to use 132 inches or actually measure from where my suspension attaches. I've left the ends with the gathered fabric ball made by the zip tie in the channel as delivered from Dutch. If we subtract that length, then the hammock is more like 128 inches, losing roughly 2 inches per end for the balled up end. In that case, 112 inches for the ridgeline is more like 87 percent of hammock length.

I'd emphasize that I don't really care what the percentage figure is. My intent was to have a ridgeline that would adjust from about 100 inches to about 120, figuring that much adjustability would get me where I needed to be. If you're making your ridgeline adjustable, you could start with those numbers and know that you'll probably be able to find a final length that works. In percentage terms, using the 132 inch assumption, you'd be able to go from about 76 percent to about 91 percent, though anything much above 117 inches will be too slack to be useful, so maybe reduce my numbers a bit, say 96 to 118 inches.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

• + New Posts