Thread: 1.0 HyperD

1.0 HyperD

Does anyone know if they will be offering hammocks in the 1.0 HyperD? I know they use ripstopbytheroll and was hoping they might offer all of their fabrics.

Hammock
    Hexon halfwit
    Tarp
    Zpacks standard
    Insulation
    DIY apex quilts
    Suspension
    Whoooopeeeee
    I emailed and asked them a few weeks ago. This was the response

"At this time we are not planning to use any of the 1.0 HyperD. One side of this fabric is heavily calendered and it has a very shiny, glossy appearance. I don't believe that it is very well suited for hammock bodies."

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    I should clarify my response a little. In the past I've used different calendared ripstop fabrics that gave me kinda of a damp, sweaty feeling in the Summertime. I've not personally tried the 1.0 HyperD so I don't know how this stuff feels.

I have spent time in the 1.6 and I like it quite a bit. The 1.6oz HyperD is soft and great feeling on both sides. The ripstop pattern is slightly more noticeable on one side, but other than that I can't really see a difference at all on either side.

We have accepted one project using a double layer of the 1.0 HyperD. Mostly because we wanted to try the fabric out and see what it's like. I guess my thought is that as long as we have the 1.6oz HyperD available to use, I don't see much of a reason to use anything different.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    I should clarify my response a little. In the past I've used different calendared ripstop fabrics that gave me kinda of a damp, sweaty feeling in the Summertime. I've not personally tried the 1.0 HyperD so I don't know how this stuff feels.

I have spent time in the 1.6 and I like it quite a bit. The 1.6oz HyperD is soft and great feeling on both sides. The ripstop pattern is slightly more noticeable on one side, but other than that I can't really see a difference at all on either side.

We have accepted one project using a double layer of the 1.0 HyperD. Mostly because we wanted to try the fabric out and see what it's like. I guess my thought is that as long as we have the 1.6oz HyperD available to use, I don't see much of a reason to use anything different.
    Well as a manufacture you certainly have the right to use whatever you want but to respectfully disagree there is clearly a 'reason' to use the 1.0 over the 1.6. That said you know hammocks and you know fabric so the benefit of the weight savings could very well not be worth the 'feel'. I just assumed since you offered the 1.0 in camo that you might be using the HyperD.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by kc_joe View Post
    ....respectfully disagree there is clearly a 'reason' to use the 1.0 over the 1.6....
    No, I absolutely agree with you. If you can clearly justify a lighter fabric, you have a valid reason. What I stated was "I don't see much of a reason to use anything different."

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird, 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream,
    Insulation
    Klymit Hammock V
    Suspension
    Cinchbuckle Strap
    The place I see the ultra light HyperD fabrics being desirable is for top covers, since they are not a load bearing feature but they are an area that colors such as the Robins Egg Blue would be desirable (which, unfortunately, is not currently an available color in the lighter HyperD). Personally, I look forward to getting an 11' Thunderbird double layer...someday. Hammock outer layer being brown polyester, inner layer being Spectra Yellow HyperD so items in the hammock are easy to see/find, and Robins Egg Blue HyperD for the top cover (vented, of course) so that when it's used the hammock doesn't feel like a dark & dreary cave inside. (At least that is my current "Dream" Dream Hammock.)

Hammock
    DIY 12ft 1.0 HyperD
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Asym
    Images
    I ordered the double 1.0 Thunderbird (1237) after hearing how much others who liked it for their diy hammocks and some estimates of over 275 lbs for single layer 1.0. The sample I received was shockingly light coming from my old Walmart and Lawson hammocks. I don't care for the shiny side on the 1.0 too much but I would expect both layers would have the calendered sides facing each other.

Randy, please let me know if you think it won't produce best results after you've played with it more and I may swap it out. Being first to try things can be a double edged sword and will happily hear your opinion.

If all goes well will definitely share pics/feedback.

• + New Posts