Hammock
    DIY Nuttin Special
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Joining loops, e.g. Continuous loops to whoopies

Beg pardon if this has been discussed at length here already, but i didn't see it in a cursory search. I was just wondering about joining loops together, such as a continuous loop at the end of a hammock to a whoopie sling. I see a lot here about girth hitches and their usefulness, but as one who comes to hammock hanging from the world of fly fishing i thought i would offer an alternative for those who might not know about it.

Fly fisherman also often use loops when rigging our fly reels and lines, particularly saltwater anglers. The thin backing on a fly reel is quite often nowadays joined to the running end of the fly line with a loop to loop connection. Similarly, many leaders have loops at their butt end that attach to loops at the end of a fly line's front taper. A girth hitch in either of these locations is a big no-no because it is a cutting knot. If you hook a fast-running fish like a tuna or maybe a tarpon, one that is capable of getting you into your backing pronto, and you have a girth hitch between fly line and backing, the thin dacron (or gel spun poly) backing can quickly cut through either itself or the loop at the end of the line.

A better connection is sometimes called a "handshake knot," one that looks like a square knot. Forgive me, even after a lifetime of using it, i still don't know the actual name of the connection. It is much stronger and much safer, and it is a technique that applies to hammock suspension as well as fly fishing. Perhaps this picture will help more.

IMG_0236.PNG

The bottom picture is the girth hitch. The knot i'm talking about is on the top. Hope this is helpful.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Well, I'd call that a larkshead. However, I'm not sure why one would attach a continuous loop to a whoopie sling anyway. You can't do it on the adjustable side and there's little reason to do it on the fixed loop side. How were you thinking the continuous loop and whoopie sling would interact? Are you larksheading the fixed end of your whoopie to the continuous loop on your hammock? I'm not sure that's totally advisable due to the tight bend radius (there have been threads about this recently).

If I ever need to extend my tree straps for larger trees, I add the continuous loop to the tree strap.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    It's still a girth hitch/cow hitch/larks head but is dressed differently and when done with equal sized ropes, it maintains ~85% of single line minimum breaking strength in dyneema ropes. This is about the same loss of strength as the whoopie sling so there is no overall loss.

See slides 15-16... http://www.samsonrope.com/Documents/..._March2011.pdf

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    ... However, I'm not sure why one would attach a continuous loop to a whoopie sling anyway. ...
    I switched My ENO DN to whoopies by taking the huge stock rope out of the channels, replacing it with an Amsteel loop, and i then attach the whoopie to the loop to hang, unattach when i store it
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Well, I'd call that a larkshead. However, I'm not sure why one would attach a continuous loop to a whoopie sling anyway. You can't do it on the adjustable side and there's little reason to do it on the fixed loop side. How were you thinking the continuous loop and whoopie sling would interact? Are you larksheading the fixed end of your whoopie to the continuous loop on your hammock? I'm not sure that's totally advisable due to the tight bend radius (there have been threads about this recently).

If I ever need to extend my tree straps for larger trees, I add the continuous loop to the tree strap.
    i believe he is refering to the loop you put thru the channel of a hammock to then attach to the locked end of the whoopie.

i have always done it via the top method, just looks cleaner to me.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I like to put some hardware between my loops. That way you don't have fabric on fabric, you usually have a wider turn radius, and the hardware, like a small carabiner (like the kind warbonnet supplies - NOT the key fob type) or a ring, provides a drip guard.

Hammock
    DIY Nuttin Special
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    i believe he is refering to the loop you put thru the channel of a hammock to then attach to the locked end of the whoopie.

i have always done it via the top method, just looks cleaner to me.
    This is what i was referring to. Agree that a biner or something similar would be preferable, but lacking that this is an option.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    If you are hellbent on keeping hammock and suspension seperate, Dutch 'biners ftw.

This has the effect of increasing the minimum spacing between trees, btw, taking otherwise acceptable spots out of play.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY Nuttin Special
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Wouldn't say that I'm hellbent on it, but I'm headed out this weekend, and I have two hammocks, a Hennessy and my homemade one. So one with bugnet, one without. If it ain't buggy when I get there, I'm going with the Nuttin Special; if they're still around, though, it'll be the HH. I already cut the stock ropes on the HH and tied loops with what was left. So now I just need the one suspension no matter which hammock I use.

Also, if need be, I can throw the NS in a washing machine. If the whoopies were permanently attached, I'd be very leary of doing that. May get some Dutch biners or the like at some point, but for now, the cow's hitch (as I've now learned it's called) will work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by PadreGA View Post
    Beg pardon if this has been discussed at length here already, but i didn't see it in a cursory search. I was just wondering about joining loops together, such as a continuous loop at the end of a hammock to a whoopie sling. I see a lot here about girth hitches and their usefulness, but as one who comes to hammock hanging from the world of fly fishing i thought i would offer an alternative for those who might not know about it.

Fly fisherman also often use loops when rigging our fly reels and lines, particularly saltwater anglers. The thin backing on a fly reel is quite often nowadays joined to the running end of the fly line with a loop to loop connection. Similarly, many leaders have loops at their butt end that attach to loops at the end of a fly line's front taper. A girth hitch in either of these locations is a big no-no because it is a cutting knot. If you hook a fast-running fish like a tuna or maybe a tarpon, one that is capable of getting you into your backing pronto, and you have a girth hitch between fly line and backing, the thin dacron (or gel spun poly) backing can quickly cut through either itself or the loop at the end of the line.

A better connection is sometimes called a "handshake knot," one that looks like a square knot. Forgive me, even after a lifetime of using it, i still don't know the actual name of the connection. It is much stronger and much safer, and it is a technique that applies to hammock suspension as well as fly fishing. Perhaps this picture will help more.

IMG_0236.PNG

The bottom picture is the girth hitch. The knot i'm talking about is on the top. Hope this is helpful.
    Well... good to know! I woulda used a larkshead knot.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast