Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64

Fabric question - Blink and things change...

Thanks for reading my post. Last year, and plenty of time before that, I was actively making hammocks for myself (WBBB, Hennessey Asym, several gathered ends, tarps, stuff sacks, whoopie slings, treep straps, etc) and over 10 more for the boys in my scout troop. In almost all cases, it was simply ripstop nylon of 1.1, 1.6 or 1.9oz from our cottage vendors. So, I decided to step away from the sewing machines, and actually enjoy them, and as a result, I am not current with the recent trends.

Which leads me to this thread - I see a lot of threads on Argon and Hyper-D now (ignoring the tablecloth fabric on purpose). Is there some threads about these two fabrics and their benefit and differences over standard calendarized ripstop? Secondly, by far my favorite hammock designs so far was the WBBB for camping, and a standard pleated gathered end for my relaxation. Any new design that are considered a must have, or improvement over the aforementioned designs? DIY of course.

Thanks for your time reading this post - happy trails.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Dutch enlarged his business and came up with Argon. Reportedly nice stuff. He has a very nice deal on hammock blanks you might want to investigate. $30 for the sewn hammock without suspension is not a lot above your cost for the cloth. Also some new metal bits. Check out his store. It is a good place to get stuff and a bad place to go with your credit card handy. ;-)

Not sure where Hyper-D came from. Probably similar to Argon but I do not know.

Not much in hammocks has changed since they discovered the foot box. Pole mods are getting hot for tarps. You really have not missed a lot or anything earth shaking.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    HyperD is from ripstopbytheroll. More of a silky vs cottony feeling when compared to argon 1.6. Both are great hammock fabrics.
    My head is an animal

There's a great thread comparing the two materials in the dream hammocks vendor thread, I believe.

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Thank you so much for the quick replies I will definitely have to check out his website again great guy to deal with

Hammock
    Argon/HyperD
    Tarp
    Hex Silnylon
    Insulation
    Argon + Down
    Suspension
    DutchBling Woopie
    I've got two samples of Hyper-D from RBR, and I've got to say it's got an interesting texture. From what I have, the 1.0oz is slick on one side and the 1.6oz has a smoother texture on both.

I would consider Hyper-D if I wanted that 1.0oz--single, or double layer--to save weight. Otherwise the Argon 1.6oz is cheaper.

I'm planning on ordering some Argon to make my first hammock soon enough--more/less practice and a in-between hammock. I'm also planning on using the Argon 67 for quilts.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Here you go.

Of all the hammocks I had the pleasure to use, the WBBB remains my all-time favorite, too. The more hammocks I'm using, the more I'm realizing how much thought and genius went into the BB design. However, I'm still missing a couple of interesting hammocks (like the SLD Streamliner) in my collection. So it's work in progress

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Osulagh View Post
    I've got two samples of Hyper-D from RBR, and I've got to say it's got an interesting texture. From what I have, the 1.0oz is slick on one side and the 1.6oz has a smoother texture on both.

I would consider Hyper-D if I wanted that 1.0oz--single, or double layer--to save weight. Otherwise the Argon 1.6oz is cheaper.
    The 1.0oz Hyper-D is calendared to make it downproof, as are Argon 90 and Argon 67. The 1.6oz of both material is uncalandared, as they are intended for use in hammocks, not quilts.

I don't understand how you make a hammock from double-layer 1.0oz that is lighter or cheaper than a single layer 1.6oz, or why you didn't consider Argon 90 (0.9oz) in your DL lightweight equation.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Osulagh View Post

I'm planning on ordering some Argon to make my first hammock soon enough--more/less practice and a in-between hammock. I'm also planning on using the Argon 67 for quilts.
    The Argon 1.6 is cheaper, however, the HyperD 1.6 is also stronger , with less (near zero) stretch. I like both materials, but I love the zero stretch of the 1.6 HyperD.. and the 400lb + limit is nice when either my wife, or kid want to jump in the hammock with me, as me (250#) plus my daughter (50#) is over the limit of Argon 1.6.. with my wife in the hammock with me.. we're at about 400lbs.. and the SL HyperD 1.6 has held both of us without a problem.

• + New Posts