Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tarp lines?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    I use some of those little Velcro strips that you use for bundling computer cables. I have them attached permantly to my tarp ridge line. I have three that help bundle the tarp in place before sliding on the snakeskins. I also have two little ones on either end to wrap up the excess rifgeline.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I use the same Velcro strips in place of the snake skin. I bunch the tarp ~4' from each end, wrap the Velcro around it, untie one end and stuff it in a mesh bag. Untie the other end, stuff that a d I'm done. I think I'll make the mesh into a mesh bishop bag.

I'm in the minority: my guylines detach. This goes back to my pre-hanging days. I got sick and tired of a bunch of tangled lines when I pulled the canoe trip tarp ( a pretty big one!) out of the bag. Mostly used to use paracord years ago. Didn't know anything about modern light strong lines.

I'm one of the anal ones who puts the suspension and tarp rigging in a separate stuffsack - a very small one. My tarp has sleeves by MountainGoat (love them) and putting everything up and taking it down goes pretty fast for me. My guylines hook onto loops at the tarp corners and, at least for me, it's quick, neat, and easy.

Is it anal retentive or anal-retentive (with or without the hyphen) ?

I also detach my guy lines. It saves tangling when carrying the tarp and it means I've always got to right guy line for the job.

If I'm using a pole, the guy line clove hitches to the pole through the tarp loop. Otherwise I use a bowline.

My bigger tarp has pre fitted bungee tensioners on the loops, I clove hitch to these.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Good morning. I hope this is an active thread. Last week I was camping and a storm came threw. Mostly wind and some rain. A gust hit the tarp and actually snapped and aluminum MSR steak in half. The shock cord then fired it threw the silnylon tarp.
    How do I repair the tear. It goes from the tie out corner about 6" in and branches another 4". Tried a temp repair with ducktape, but it doesnt stick to the silnylon. Thanks

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    A picture of the tear would help. I think I would sew a nylon ribbon at the tear then use a silicon seam sealer to seal the seam. Depending on how clean the tear is you may want to just sew on a square of silnylon to cover the whole tear.

There are also tapes made for repairing tarps. I think they make them for silnylon.
    The essential part of me can not be discussed here. Ask me in person.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow Symmetrical
    Tarp
    DD XL with doors
    Insulation
    SMR inferno UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains
    Images
    I use Dutchware fleas with the continuous loops and leave them attached to my tarp larksheaded on. I keep the tarp lines attached to the stakes and just roll the lines up on the stakes and keep them separate in their own bag
    Dave

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch 12' Winter
    Insulation
    CRO, J'R'B
    Suspension
    Dutch web/ beetle
    I keep my guy lines tied to the stakes and have surgical tube covering the guy lines near the stake for the shock absorber effect. On the tarp corners I am using Dutch fleas on very small CL larks headed on.

Hope to get some pics tomorrow afternoon of the setup at the Florida last gasp hang.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    How do I repair the tear. It goes from the tie out corner about 6" in and branches another 4". Tried a temp repair with ducktape, but it doesnt stick to the silnylon. Thanks
    If you can find some matching nylon fabric (matching color), you can cut a patch and glue it over the tear using some 100% silicone caulk. It helps to thin the silicone with some mineral spirits first so you can apply a thinner coat.

There have been lots of tarp repair threads here in the past. A little searching should yield plenty of results and lots of tips. Good luck!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Yes, for this material you normally have to use a patch applied with liquid silicone, preferably thinned a bit.

Some silnylon is urethane coated on one side, in which case some patching tapes will work. Otherwise, none of the "dry" patches will stick.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast