Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I keep the tarp ridge line separate in a plastic bag. The tarp tie out lines are left on. I use a different color tie out lines for each side of the tarp.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Guylines attached and free. Roll everything up and slide on skins. Stuff it all in a sack and done.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    This is where I see the most obsessive/compulsive (OCD) behavior in all of hammocking. People placing suspension in a separate bag; figure 8'ing the guylines before storing; prusiks and UCRs and all manner of things designed to allow one to "adjust" the tarp while one is under the tarp (I can't see this a goal I should have). People really seem to put more thought into guylines and ridgelines, and proper storage thereof, than I think is healthy!

I just larkshead my guylines onto the tarp tie-outs and use marlin spike hitch (MSH) on the stakes. No figure 8 for me; just roll the tarp and the lines up and stuff 'em in the snakeskins, then wrap the ridgeline around the tarp.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S Argon SL 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thnx guys...Ill leave em on.

I do need to pick up some skins though. Thnx for the advice.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Someone should post who leaves them off Not only do I take the ridge line off, I wind it on a plastic kite string winder. And on each pull out, I have a figure-9 on a split ring. I've had my share of tying knots and they are fun on warm summer days. They are not so much fun in pouring rain or freezing icy conditions. I'm going to have to adjust the line somewhere - at the stake or at the hammock, so I pick the hammock. I have a small bowline loop at the end of the guy line and that goes over the stake. I wrap/fix/tension the other end at the edge of the tarp. On take down, I coil the lines and keep them in a separate bag.

I have played with different ways and still evolving. I use to put a ridge line and guys set with each tarp. These days, I have a separate "suspension" bag. I was worried about those figure-9's packed with the tarp. But they are not sharp and nothing is jammed real tight - and I'd be carrying the weight anyway (if I continued to use them). The Split ring acts as the weakest point of failure and I have been in wind that blew one out. I just girth hitched the figure-9 down on the guy line, ran the line through the d-ring on the tarp and fixed it to the figure-9. Also strung the tarp steeper to spill more wind.

Hammock
    DIY ACU Camo
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I leave all tie outs on except the ridgelines. I have a stake roll that keeps my stakes, ridgeline tie outs and extra line incase of failures in zip lock bags. I keep each ring of the superfly on a small plastic sbiner at the top of the cinch bag then clip my dutch stingerz to them when I want to deploy the tarp.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch
    I use a small bishop bag for my tarps and usually just stuff everything into it. When I take my stakes up I wrap each guy line and tie them off for neatness. Occasionally I will take the tarp off of the ridegline but I rarely remove the guy lines.

If I've left everything a mess (sometimes you have to pack up in a hurry) I just detangle and wrap when I get home and am cleaning/sorting all of my gear.

I love posts like this. This is how we learn what other options are out there. Thanks!

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    My big concern is size. On my motorcycle space is very important. (I'll order a smaller tarp next month)
    I find that separating things into small items makes it easier to find a place for it. I also like having all my lines in one bag. That way if I need one I don't need to separate it from the tarp, but I like the idea of leaving the tie outs on the tarp. Quick and easy-to-use.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch
    I have found, at least with my Vertex tarp, that if I fold it neatly it packs very small. Stuffing the tarp into a sack will take up the entire volume of the sack until it is compressed by other gear in my pack. You gotta get yourself one of those extremely expensive cuben fiber tarps. Just convince yourself that you neeeeeeeeeeed it haha. Off topic ... I recently replaced my MSR Groundhog stakes with the titanium shepherds hook stakes that dutch sells (they might be vargo, not sure)...this has saved weight AND space in my pack. Opie's signature is my motivation there "not a gram weenie but starting to see the benefits" or something similar.

Show us how you pack up your motorcycle! I'm very interested.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast