Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Magna coyote 1.1 for tarp?

Has anyone used Magna's 1.1 coyote ripstop for a diy sil tarp? Their 1.3 urban grey is too loose a weave for coating... Is the 1.1 coyote a tighter weave?

Hammock
    DIY ACU Camo
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 ACU Camo
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    I had a bad experience with Magna I ordered 74 yds of coyote 1.1 in March and never received my fabric and just got my money back this month needless to say they lost a customer for life

Hammock
    DIY 10x5 w/srl
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Thanks, but I'm asking about the product, not the service. I've been a customer of theirs before, and there's a long complaint/praise thread already started. I'd like to keep this just about the product please, and the tightness of the weave.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I ordered 35 yards of that coyote 1.1, I think it feels and acts more like a 1.0 or .9oz material. In my opinion, too loose a weave for a tarp. In fact, I wouldn't even trust it for a single layer sewn channel hammock, at least not one you want to last (my weight being 185lbs). I have used it for double layers, and a whipped single layer. Even with double layers, the elongation holes in the channel show up pretty quick.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    DIY 10x5 w/srl
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by boulderv7 View Post
    I ordered 35 yards of that coyote 1.1, I think it feels and acts more like a 1.0 or .9oz material. In my opinion, too loose a weave for a tarp. In fact, I wouldn't even trust it for a single layer sewn channel hammock, at least not one you want to last (my weight being 185lbs). I have used it for double layers, and a whipped single layer. Even with double layers, the elongation holes in the channel show up pretty quick.
    Thank you!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have ordered 3 times from them with no problems. Coyote Brown 1.1, MARPAT CAMO 1.1 and ACU Camo 1.9 or 1.6 ( don't remember for sure ) ripstop. I just use these for making hammocks and one TQ so far. As soon as I can order some more Clamashield I want to make a UQ and another TQ

They do not carry sil nylon ( I have asked ) so you would have to treat it to make it water proof. How well any of these would work, only one way to find out.

Seems to me it would be easier to order silnylon and get something that will much lighter in the long run. Several of the vendors here sell it at very reasonable prices such as Ripstopbytheroll, DIY Gear, and sometimes Dutch has some ( you have to email or PM him to find out if and what he might have ). There might be some vendors I missed.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters double
    Tarp
    DIY 12x11 hex/cat
    Insulation
    DIY no-sew PLUQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Like boulderv7 above, I also bought 35 yds of the 1.1 ripstop from magna. I had nothing else to compare it to (my 12 x 11 tarp was my first DIY project), but the fabric seemed so thin and wispy as I unrolled it off the roll!

I did the DIY mineral spirits and 100% silicone caulk mixture and brushed it on in my garage after making the tarp (based on http://diygearsupply.com/wp-content/...arp-lowres.jpg)

My tarp weighed 318 grams before treatment, and 456 grams after the sil treatment (excluding all tie-out lines)

Within 24 hours after brushing on the silicone treatment, I had the tarp out on a Scout backpacking trip where it rained hard all afternoon and through the next morning. Everything stayed 100% dry. I've had the tarp out for maybe 6-8 more nights, and only one more rain that I can remember. But I've had no problems with it so far, and I don't foresee any problems coming up!

I do NOT plan to make a hammock for myself (at 300 lbs) out of this material - but I've experienced no problems with it as a tarp!

From a 35 yd roll, my cost was $1.30/yd shipped for the material. Once I add the cost of the silicone treatment and grosgrain etc, I come up with under $22 for my materials. And maybe 8-10 hours of labor which I (mostly) enjoyed as a learning experience and proof to myself that I could make my own gear.

Hammock
    DIY 10x5 w/srl
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Thank you Jwh123!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I weight 275 lbs and I have made several 1.1 double layers from the Magna fabrics and they hold me just fine.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    DIY straps / Fancy
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    I weight 275 lbs and I have made several 1.1 double layers from the Magna fabrics and they hold me just fine.
    I have some on order, does it have a plastic feel or silky feel? I hope that I'm making sense.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast