Eno Double Nest
    Tarp
    Silnylon DIY
    Insulation
    Sleepingbag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Question Kelty Cosmic Down 20 2013 vs. 2014

I've decided to get the Kelty Cosmic Down 20 since from what I've seen it is the most highly recommended. I don't want to shell out the $60 extra bucks for the new version and was wondering if anyone could point out any significant differences that would justify the extra money. Im also open to other sleeping bags but really like the space, weight, design, and price of the Kelty.

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Welcome. Short answer - save the $60 for when you make the switch to quilts.

The Cosmic Down 20 is a 550 fillpower bag and is not particularly lightweight for a 20 degree bag.

Please note that I think that Kelty are subtly gaming the EN13537 ratings. They list the Lower Limit ( 21F ) as "Mens Comfort". The actual definition of Lower Limit is the temperature at which a standard man can sleep for eight hours in a curled position without waking. Note the curled position - this is a heat loss reduction position. The standard is designed to find the absolute minimium that a 'standard man' could find enough comfort to sleep through the night and get enough rest to perform the next day. Many men won't meet that standard, and most won't sleep curled up unless they absolutely had to. It's one thing to do so for one unexpectedly cold night, but another to have to do so every night; and that doesn't meet my definition of comfort as Kelty appear to imply. At least they are using the ratings though.

Note that I am not saying the Kelty is a bad bag. It is down, and it is reasonable value for what it is. It's just not what most hammockers here would choose to use in a hammock, except as a temporary topquilt that they already owned before making the switch to hammocks. Not many would decide to buy it afterwards.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you own already that could be pressed into temporary service as a topquilt? You should also be looking hard at underquilts or pads, because most of your comfort in a hammock is derived from bottom insulation.

• + New Posts