2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet

Starting dimensions for a pad

I'm experimenting with CCA material. I have some 1/4" and 3/8" material that is 60 inches wide. I find that a standard Thermarest pad is too narrow for me in my DL WWBB XLC hammock. I tend to walk off or shift off it.

Any suggestions on a starting point for width? I can always trim more off but don't want to cut off too much initially.

I'd intended on using the 1/4" pad for summer weather, 3/8" for cooler and combining the two for colder weather.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    In a hammock id say start at 30"

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    Thanks, I'll give that dimension a try. Easy enough to trim. I'm also going to try out an ENO segmented pad with wings. Plan on giving my prototypes a try this weekend.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    I've experimented with CCA material since my original post. In a few months I'll purchase a down under quilt but these prototypes are giving me something to hang with this fall. As soon as I figure how to post pics I'll upload several but here's what I've done.

I trimmed 40" 1/4 CCA to fit within an ENO Hotspot so that I had wings around my shoulders and the CCA tapered down my feet. This worked pretty well down to the upper-40s inserting the prototype in my DL Blackbird.

I added another 1/4 CCA to just the top portion and got down to 40 OK.

This weekend I tried an overnight trip to a 4000 foot mountain called The Priest in the Blue Ridge in central Virginia. Prior to leaving I added a 3/8" CCA portion to the top section sandwich of CCA. Temperatures Saturday night got to about 33 F with wind gusts steady all night in the mid 20s mph. I purposely left my tarp open to see how I managed. Worked well although I noticed my feet protected with only 1/4" CCA were not as toasty as the upper body. I used a 2lb mummy bag as a surrogate top quilt.

Have to admit the final sandwich of CCA this weekend was a bit bulky. It weighed about 3 lbs somewhat more than a good down under quilt but was worth testing. Hike up the mountain with this bundle strapped on my pack probably looked somewhat comical but I wanted to test things.
    Last edited by JSH; 10-06-2014 at 21:27.

That was my problem as well. By the time you have something that is thick and wide enough to work, it is not comfortable and heavy and VERY bulky. I think a 30" 1/4 pad for 40+ is doable, but anything lower pretty much requires an underquilt.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Part of the weight depends on the pad material. I have seen 20x 72 inch CCF pads ranges from around 4 oz to over 16 oz. I'm not sure what is currently available.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    I agree about the temp limit for a 1/4" CCA pad. That was under my feet at the low 30s temps a couple weeks ago and while I managed with good Smartwool socks for sleeping I could feel the difference in temperature between that area and in the torso area of my DIY pad where thickness was over 1/2"

I've seen repeated advice about underquilts in the forum and am a believer. When my budget allows I'll give one a try.

• + New Posts