Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Every time
    Whu-whu-what? Canadians have their own style of fire? I seriously like Canadians more every day. It's little things like this that make me want to forgive the Canadians for the band Nickelback. I'm still not there yet....but keep it up Canucks.

Looking forward to this event! Headed up to the Superior Hiking Trail in 2 days to take in the fall colors and summer weather.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Funny!
    Yes.....a long rather than round fire. Great for a big group. The SHT awaits you......
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    exped scout combi
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    polarpod
    I'm here............still..
    " Wiggs "

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Yes, we Canadians take our fire rather seriously up here. Never mind Nickleback, did you notice how slyly we exported Beiber?

Hammock
    DIY UL w/ dynaglide whoopies (6oz)
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    To be honest, I was a bit freaked out by the whole "dump everything into a pot and cook it" going in last year. I wasn't expecting it to taste so good. That said, I had a weeks worth of food with me in case I started to gag. Even the coffee was better than I was expecting.
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    As long as I'm not chastised for not contributing to the pot o' mush :P
    I too wasn't sure about the whole shared food thing, and packed a full food bag, just in case. Pretty much the only thing I ended up eating was my Reese peanut butter cups, and a few snacks. There was a surprising amount of really good food. it turns out many of the participants are really good cooks. This year I'll pack a lot less individual food.

Michael

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Reckon I have not been on the MFBH as the same time as you....did not know that. It is your right to say what you feel.
    I still believe the trip planners/leaders were just looking out for the best interests of those wanting to attend as is the planners responsibility by proxy according to the ways many of us were taught. Especially on these kind of events.
    Last year Jason and Madhob took over when Stairguy dropped out (where is he by the way?)...they brought the parachute fire shelter, tarps, rope and built the pot stand/clothes thawer/ and did all kind of extra chores. Led the wood gathering too. Also tended the fire and area like a couple of pros. As this hang gets bigger and bigger the Canadian style fire and all the tending is needed to make sure all get some fire comfort.
    The temps were not too bad last year but had they plummeted...as everyone wants.....we just want to make sure everyone is prepared.
    Hoping I can make it to this again though there will be winter camping regardless.
    Whooooo Buddies and Betties)))))
    I hear us on the extra chores of the planners... I'm all for that and have talked with hillbilly and his wife vineygirl about going up with them to find and prepare the site. I want everyone to be safe, but I also don't like rules I guess hopefully I'll cross paths with you again sometime soon.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Each group hang is different, and every individual has there tolerance level for what they like and do not like.

That being said, the extreme camping cold is very unforgiving and deadly if you are not experienced and prepared.
    Some folks are good enough that they can go with only a buddy and do extremely well, at -40.

The reason for such a tight group in the past has been for those with experience to get a look at others and try to catch any potential issues before they happen.
    The group meal was designed to assure if a person was to tired or near hypothermic and did not realize it there was hot food available and others were available to help.
    Everyone should leave an outing like this with all of there body parts and near as health as they arrived.

Occasionally there have been folks that wanted to attend that had never camped at 0*f before and did not practice before hand.
    This is not the place to learn to cold weather camp, but a gathering to enjoy the experience.
    Those folks were discouraged, some others came, and we made sure even though they did not have a lot of experience that they survived and had a pretty good time.

Leadership is needed to assure that everyone participates in the efforts and not just enjoy the benefits.
    Even with "Adults" occasionally direction is needed that may be perceived as blunt, such as direction for ALL to gather firewood so ALL can have a continual fire for 4 days.
    It is disappointing for a few to work hard and others to slide along and reap the benefits.

My suggestion is to keep the hand as it is, as a true "GROUP" activity.

And being very blunt, which does not enlarge my friend circle.
    Those that do not wish to participate in the group, can plan their own hang and do it however they want to.
    Last edited by TZBrown; 09-25-2014 at 07:52.
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    sleepingbag+pad
    Suspension
    Webbing&descenders
    I am definately planning on being there, after a couple more hangs and a good UQ. I personally like the common-pot deal, I love to show off my cooking skills, ramen, tater-tot hot dish, and the likes. And for anyone in the "less-experienced" category including myself please check out the "Nasty weather hang" in december at https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Nov-Dec/page5
    "Never be the smartest man in the room" ~ unknown
    "Peace is that moment in history when everyone stops and reloads" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Hammock
    WWBB
    Tarp
    UQ.com Maxtarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ & M50 UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchness + Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    I'm definitely thinking about trying to make it to this hang. It's a long drive from Cincinnati, though. I need to look into a car pool and to see if i can get the required amount of time off.
    Scott,
    I think I'm in on this one and definetly open to carpooling with ya.
    Gonna have to shore up me my gear for this one!
    Directionally challenged...comicly so.

Not all who wonder are lost...But I'm probably just lost.

Hammock
    ENO SingleNest & DoubleNest
    Tarp
    CCS Tundra Tarp
    Insulation
    Exped pads
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    in my experience people tend to be fine for the night while they are sleeping, but their clothing during the day seems to be lacking.
    It's not so bad if you go for a snowshoe, but lazing around camp is popsicle-inducing!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast