Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts

Question for bridge hammock users

In all the models and pictures I have seen, I have never seen any kind of ridgeline on a bridge hammock and i am wondering why. It seems like it would be as beneficial as on a traditional hammock. I haven't used a bridge hammock, so the answer may be obvious to you.

If a ridgeline went from the top of the suspension triangles, it seems like it would have a number of benefits:
    - control the angle of lines going out to the spreader bars thereby limiting the stress on the lines and bars.
    - hold the bug net out of the way.
    - same benefit for a winter protector.
    - possibly integrate a tarp system
    - attach organizers, etc.

Very interested to hear thoughts from those with experience using bridge hammocks.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Couple years ago, me and BillBob58 was fiddling with RL's on our BMBH and BMBH UL hammocks by Jacks R Better, and they worked great on the bridge hammocks. When I switched to a RR single layer with bug net, didn't want to put holes in the bug net to hang with a RL and the hang was so flat and great for me, that I just didn't see the need for it. Your not going to use a RL organizer or hang anything from the RL other than maybe a light, as you have those wonderful side pockets, the Saddle Bags, on the the RR and they have a lot of space. Its so long, I can throw my shoes or condensed pack in the foot of it, and you even have room at the head end for your eye glasses or a bottle of water as each end has a smallish pocket of material that you can use also. I did sew a small plastic tie out on the peak of the bugnet on the inside for attaching my head light on the inside of the bug net or sometimes put my glasses threw it. As far as using a RL on the bugnet, on the RR, the bug net hangs so high and tight with the way its designed,,no need to use a RL for it either.

On the BMBH and BMBH UL, the RL gave me a better lay in it. With the contoured body design of the RR, I just don't see how a RL would give me any flatter lay or better lay cause of its unique design by WB.

What controls the stress on your spreader bars of a bridge hammock is the length of your triangles or dog bones as they are called. If you watch any of Professor Hammocks youtube videos on how to build a bride hammock, he gives the measurement math figures on how to figure the minimum length you can get away with without snapping or breaking them. I am not sure, even tho I have it written down some where that your traingles or dog bones can be no less than 80% length of your spreader bars. No sure with out looking it up. But,,if spreader bars on RR were 35.5" long, then min. dogbone length is 28" or longer. In the case of the RR. because its contoured down the length, and the head end is wider than the foot end, for stability, Brandon used a longer dongbone setup for his design I am thinking for the max. weight his hammock would carry. I also think he is now using a thicker and stronger spreader bar than he started out with or at least I know you can get them off him if yours happens to break. RL would not take any stress off your spreader bars is what I am trying to explain.

On my single layer RR, I sometimes use a attached RL that is attached to a piece of bugnet, that I throw over me if needed, and goes down to about the knees. Weighs about 5 ozs maybe. But that RL is strickly for the bugnet only and doesn't affect the lay of the hammock.

I occasionally use also a Spindrift, 2 door model, and in using it,,would have to put holes for a RL and see no need for it, as its attachments work adequately the Warbonnet has designed it. there again, have sewed a small plastic tie out triangle at the head of it on the inside to hang lite or glasses.

My suspension on both RR's has been shortened to 38 inches, and can get all of the triangles of which I use a Dutch Beiner to attach my whoopies to and the ends of the triangles, and can get the entire setup under a 12' tarp. So no worrys about rain, water running down them vs. drip lines, etc. as it just barely fits and works fine. I still use drip lines tho. I also have removed the 4" spreader extension at the head end of the hammock as it gives me a better lay similar to a JRB BMBH UL as I am 5' 11" and 165lbs and I think my less weight has a lot to do with the flatness of lay also.

I do sometimes use a prussic with a small s-biner attached that I sometimes attach to my RL of my tarp on my whoopies above the Dutch Beiner on my suspension trinagles to bring the tarp as close to the hammock as possible if its going to blow and rain a lot. Gives better coverage in my opinion and less air on top or moisture also.

I have seen on the forum, hangers using the RR mentioning using a RL and working it thru their gear. So there are users out there using them but I don't think a lot. Hope this helps you alittle.
    Acer
    Last edited by Acer; 09-13-2014 at 20:49.

Images
    I made a removable RL just to hold the net farther off my face.
    I don't like or use RL on my gathered end hammocks except where a bugnet need them for support.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    I put what I suppose you could call a ridgeline on my bridge hammock. While I used Grizz's bridge instructions for the most part, the one thing I wanted was a bug net that was way, way far away from my face so when I was designing the bug net I used triangle pieces at both ends of the hammock.

Tying it off to the suspension triangles doesn't put it high enough so while I put a ridgeline inside the bug net to hold my organizer, I also needed an external suspension system. I have shock cord and line installed at each end that I feed through a pair of ties on my tarp. The line runs up through the ties and then down to the suspension at the outside of the triangle.

The one downside to this is that I have to have my tarp deployed, even if it's thrown back on one side like in the pic.

hammock with bug net deployed.jpg

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    I have a rl on my diy bridge but it's just for my organizer and party lights !

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    With my Warbonnet Outdoors Ridge Runner I don't see a need for a ridge line. The Continuous Ridge Line of my tarp allows me to connect my netting pulls at the foot and head end, keeping them under cover and dry. This also allows me to choose trees further apart, if needed, and not worry that my shock cords that pull the netting up and off my face/body are not long enough. The head bag, foot bag and saddle bags have more than enough storage IMHO.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Have one on my Grizz Bridge.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Jacks-R-better bridge
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    JRB Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    OutandBack, what material is your hammock made out of? Thanks.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Thanks for your feedback everyone. I am getting more interested in trying a bridge everyday.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbinhood View Post
    OutandBack, what material is your hammock made out of? Thanks.
    My bridge is a standard BMBH-UL In the pict to show the RL it has a 2QZQ under quilt protector on it.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/bea...k-ultra-light/

Maybe you can see more in this pict...
    Last edited by OutandBack; 09-14-2014 at 13:15.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast