Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Double Layer 1.1

17 58.62%
  • Single Layer 1.7

12 41.38%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    The best place for your foot pad is in the TQ or SB not under it or between the hammock layers.
    You will not be able to lay blankets between the layers and get them to stay in place.
    They will work their way into a ball at the bottom of the hammock.

My first highend hammock was a wbbb 1.1dl and after finding these things out I have never purchased another dl hammock.
    Since Brandon will be shipping 4833miles you might want to buy both and sell the one you don't like. Good Luck

Here's some pict of my hammock collection since 2011.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/outand...7632322638444/
    Last edited by OutandBack; 09-13-2014 at 10:46.

That is great you said that Outandback! This actually made me to think this over again. Well, to buy both and then sell the one I'm least happy with is actually an alternative, shouldn't be too much trouble getting it sold!

Now a question regarding the stretch. Is the 1.1 DL much stretchier than the 1.7 SL?
    I'm actually positive to some stretch, I like to feel that the hammock conforms to my body. I guess most of you here weighs more than me (132 lbs) so there is probably more stretch for you in, say, the 1.7 SL than it is for me.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1/1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Marmot Meteor bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lionsroar View Post
    Ampersand:
    Thank you for your thorough reply!
    Did you special order that one? How much did it cost?
    Brandon charged me $15 extra. Can't promise that applies across the board.

Hammock
    WBBB's
    Tarp
    UGQ, WB, OES
    Insulation
    UGQ UQs/TQs
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    I'm 200 lbs and have a WBBB 1.1 double, which feels perfect to me. The pros to that model are that it is mosquito proof (I can attest, having hung with no UQ or pad during the summer months in swarms of them), and you can bring/use a pad between the layers to supplement your UQ on really cold nights. BTW, you probably won't ever want to use "just" your pad if you have an UQ; the UQ being so much warmer and comfortable. I'd say the 1.1 has a slightly stretchy feel, which probably comes as much from the nylon straps as much as the hammock fabric. I like it, since it seems to conform to your body. At 132#, I don't know that you'd notice it much.

The pros to the 1.7 single layer are that it is 2 oz. lighter and should pack a little smaller, and you won't have to be as mindful to brush leaf litter and dirt away, as can get sandwiched between double layers. The 1.7 fabric is supposedly somewhat tougher, but I've never seen it in person.

With that said, my 1.1 double looks as new as the day it arrived with probably 50+ nights in it. I actually have another 1.1 double on order to upgrade from our Hennessey. I like the double for the reasons mentioned and that to me, two autonomous layers should provide protection against catastrophic failure if one layer were to become damaged (ie; torn on brush, cut in a zipper, etc.). The 1.1 fabric is finely woven and feels soft and comfortable on the skin, which I suspect may be more comfortable over the coarser 1.7 fabric (though possibly insignificant). But if weight/size is an issue to you, the 1.7 single (or especially 1.1 single at your weight) might get the nod.

Hammock
    XLC 1.7 single
    Tarp
    MRS Vista Wing
    Insulation
    UQ , sleepingbag
    Suspension
    webbing
    I'm 148 lbs and have a XLC 1.7 Single. It's comfortable and has some stretch. I 'm used to the huge stretch of my super comfortable cottonwoven Mexican hammock, which hangs in my livingroom. Compared to the Mexican the 1.7 single has of course very little stretch. In choosing a camping hammock the amount of stretch was a big issue for me. Compared to my Ticket to the Moon hammock the 1.7 single definitely has more stretch and therefore more comfort.

The XLC 1.1 double has a weight capacity of 275 lbs. The 1.7 Single has a weight capacity of 250 lbs.
    So this would mean a 1.7 Single has more stretch than a 1.1 double.

The olive green of the 1.7 is indeed very nice to look at.

I spend the summer in Greece and no muskito was able to sting through the Single fabric of my 1.7.
    Allthough they were buzzing around my head all night long. LOL!

hope this helps
    Last edited by Basho; 09-14-2014 at 14:32.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Comfort & stretch: I only have the WBBB 1.1oz DL and the 1.7oz DL - I never tried a Blackbird single layer, so I cannot tell you what it feels like in comparison. My guess is, though, that the 1.7oz SL will stretch a bit more than the 1.1oz DL. I'm basing this on experience with other hammocks. A 1.1oz DL is probably fairly similar to a 2.0oz+ fabric. The 1.7oz single layer is 1.7oz. Personally, I like a bit of stretch, but not too much. After spending a night in 1.6oz single layer hammock, I can say that I prefer more support. But this is a matter of taste.

Color: Over the years, the 1.1oz fabric has changed every so often (in contrast to the 1.7oz fabric). The 1.1oz DL I bought last year is an olive brown, not grey. The website still says "olive brown". The fabric is not super soft; when touching it when the hammock is empty, it feels thin but kind of stiff. I like the support it gives when loaded.

Why choose DL or SL: There are pros and cons for each. The advantages of the SL are pack weight and volume. It is 2-3oz lighter than the 1.1oz DL. On the other hand, the DL is more robust and versatile. Which is why all of my hiking hammocks are DLs. I use full-length underquilts, but I carry a piece of Reflectix as a sit pad, and I have often used it between the layers under my butt and lower back to provide additional insulation, since I'm a super cold sleeper. As O&B said, blankets likely won't work, unless they are stiff. I have read, though, that people have successfully used a rescue blanket between the layers. I guess you have to try what works and what doesn't work for you. I have also used the layers to dry out wet socks. Oh, and don't count on mosquitos not being able to bite through a double layer! There have been discussions about this; if you sleep without clothes, no underquilt and pad, mosquitos *will* be able to get you. However, two layers plus sleeping clothes will likely be too much for them.

If you have the money, get both models and try them out. I have sold quite a few hammocks on eBay.de. It takes a while, especially if you don't start with 1 EUR (which I definitely *don't* recommend) but with a reasonable price. You will also save on shipping costs. And I would recommend getting a WB tarp (or two) in the deal, since Warbonnet gives you $10 off when you buy a hammock and a tarp. I have the complete range of WB tarps, and I love them. They have the best weight/coverage ratio of all silnylon tarps I have seen.

If you don't have the money, go with the 1.1oz DL. You can save 2-3oz somewhere else, and you have the ability to use a sleeping pad between the layers if there's a chance that you might have to go to ground.

Thank you everyone! Your replies has been of great value!

I think I'll just go with both, then I won't be able to regret any of the buys and can try them both and see which I like the most. I realize now the greatest reason I want the 1.7 is actually for the color..call me whatever you want but to me it is of great importance since this will be my new bedroom in the forest. But yes, I might over-emphasize the value

Do any of you have any pictures of the 1.1 taken with a good camera? Maybe a look from the inside?

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I have the 1.7 single layer Blackbirds, and the Double layer 1.1 Danger Bird. The texture of the 1.1 is softer/smoother.
    I've read that the double layer is better for preventing mosquitoes from biting through.

I also find the DB is easier and faster for attaching the under quilt. It just stays in place.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    I have the 1.7 single layer Blackbirds, and the Double layer 1.1 Danger Bird. The texture of the 1.1 is softer/smoother.
    Dream Hammock uses other fabrics. Nothing to do with the Blackbird 1.1oz.

Here are some pictures - hope they help. The 1.1oz color ain't that bad... I actually think that it is kind of stealthy.

WBBB 1.1oz DL outside:

WBBB 1.1oz DL inside:

WBBB 1.7oz DL outside:

WBBB 1.7oz DL inside:

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    In case this makes a difference: the 1.1oz is a ripstop fabric, the 1.7oz is plain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast