Hammock
    Hennesy Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex - for xmas

long rigeline tarp

I have a HH explorer deluxe and am wanting to upgrade to a better tarp. Been looking at the HH hex fly but I just noticed that it actualy has a shorter ridgeline (132") than the stock tarp (137"). I don't want to go to a shorter ridgeline so what are some good options that will give me a longer ridgeline and better coverage than the stock tarp.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    HH Hex Rainfly
    Insulation
    Pad & Wiggy's Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/dutch buc
    Honestly never looked at the numbers but I only use my hex tarp with my HH and it definitely has a lot more coverage that the stock asym tarp.
    “The path of least resistance leads to crooked rivers and crooked men.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    HH is the best tarp for that kind of money. My 12' hammock has a 10' ridgeline and I've used my HH Hex with it. Coverage was adequate and mine is likely the longest hammock out there. I use it with my HHDJ and coverage is even better.

The one I have has doors on it. I bought it used and the seller told me that HH put the doors on for him, you may ask if they can do that.

Banned
    Hammock
    warbonnet BB, dream hammock
    Tarp
    WB superfly, edge
    Insulation
    AHE jarbidge, UGQ
    Suspension
    woopies
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    HH is the best tarp for that kind of money. My 12' hammock has a 10' ridgeline and I've used my HH Hex with it. Coverage was adequate and mine is likely the longest hammock out there. I use it with my HHDJ and coverage is even better.

The one I have has doors on it. I bought it used and the seller told me that HH put the doors on for him, you may ask if they can do that.
    more than likely you got the monsoon or typhoon tarp from HH, just like the hex but doored.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If you are not hell-bent on Hennessy, there are a couple of cottage shops that offer tarps with a ridgeline longer than 132":

• Wilderness Logics offers a 144" ridgeline as an upgrade on all their tarps. They might do a custom length in between - just ask.
    • Simply Light Designs makes some unusal tarps in different lengths.
    • OES also offers tarps in all lengths and widths - just be aware that there is a lot of negative feedback on customer service. It might happen that you have to wait a long time for your order. I wouldn't buy there unless I had talked to the guy on the phone and the tarp was *in stock*, ready to be shipped.
    • Undergroundquilts makes tarps in different lengths, too, despite their name Scroll to the end of the page.

I'm sure I forgot a couple of vendors. Before you buy an extra long tarp, be aware, though, that a longer tarp means less choice with regards to where you can set-up. I have hung in many places where my 132" tarp just about fit. With a longer tarp I would have had to find another spot. This might be a non-issue for you.

Another factor that you might want to consider is weight. The WB Superfly has a 132" ridgeline but offers doors for more protection - for only 19oz. Many other, smaller tarps I have seen weigh more...

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Part of the reason the stock HH rain fly has such a long ridge line is due to the limited side coverage of the diamond shape. To get more coverage for the hammock, the ridge line must be longer. For a hex, or rectangular tarp, you don't have the limited side coverage problem, and a shorter ridge line wont be a problem. For pretty much any HH hammock, a 10.5' or 11' ridge line will be plenty.

Hammock
    Hennesy Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex - for xmas
    Thanks guys I will check them out

• + New Posts