Hammock
    Warbonett Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Underquilt 30
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles

The 1.1 or the 1.7? That is the question.

Hi. I'm looking to get a Warbonett Blackbird, but I'm not sure if I should get the single layer 1.1 or the single layer 1.7. I weigh about 164lbs and the limit for the 1.1 is 200. Any opinions on this? I currently own a Hennessy ultralight backpacker asym zip and I'm always pretty comfortable in that. It's the only hammock I've owned so far, but I'm looking to try out another. I'm also looking to shave weight when I backpack, which is why I'm considering the 1.1., but it is just a 4 ounce difference. Will I notice a major difference between the two BB's with my weight?

Thanks. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I personally consider single layer hammocks made out of 1.1 oz. fabric to be disposable. I'm 5'11" 160 lbs. and consider the minimum fabric to be 1.6 oz for me. I've had luck with DL 1.1 oz. hammocks but not with SL 1.1 oz. hammocks - too fragile for my camping style (or lack of grace, clumsiness - whatever you want to call it). I'll be looking for other places to shave weight rather than hammock fabric weight.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I had a 1.1 DL and then got a XLC in 1.7 SL. The 1.1 feels that much better to the skin that I'm considering getting the XLC in that fabric. But DL, so not for weight savings.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I personally consider single layer hammocks made out of 1.1 oz. fabric to be disposable.
    That's an idea, disposable hammocks, just pick up a hammock at you local hammock vending machine at the camp ground.

If you take care of gear you could go with a single layer. There will a little bit more stretch than with a double layer but not that much. Another advantage with a double layer BB is that you can use a pad and its harder for the skeeters to bite thru two layers of fabric.

I have to use double layer BB due to my weight.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension
    Straps :)
    Lets hope Brandon builds some hammocks with the newish 1.6 argon fabric for us folks right around the 200 lb mark, that would make this question easier to answer
    //
    “Stories set in the Culture in which Things Went Wrong tended to start with humans losing or forgetting or deliberately leaving behind their terminal. It was a conventional opening, the equivalent of straying off the path in the wild woods in one age, or a car breaking down at night on a lonely road in another.”
    ― Iain M. Banks, The Player of Games

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Why a single layer? For hammock camping/backpacking, my preference is to have Double Layer hammock to supplement a pad if needed in colder weather. The only single layer hammocks I own are used for lounging...

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    I've got a SL original BB 1.7. I'm about your weight and it provides plenty of support, which I like. Its my dedicated summer hammock and being 1.7 and SL, it allows breezes to cool me off in the evening because I don't think the thread weave is as tight as a 1.1 BB. You will definitely have to use permethrin in the summer though, mozzies will be able to bite right thru it.
    I use it all summer on my hikes, I just hose it off in the fall, pack it up, and wait for next summer.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by K0m4 View Post
    I had a 1.1 DL and then got a XLC in 1.7 SL. The 1.1 feels that much better to the skin that I'm considering getting the XLC in that fabric. But DL, so not for weight savings.
    In Colorado even summer night temps require me to wear some type of clothing to bed. I never really have the hammock material next to my skin.
    When I had my 1.1DL wbbb it did remind me of silk sheets.

Hammock
    Warbonett Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Underquilt 30
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsguy View Post
    I've got a SL original BB 1.7. I'm about your weight and it provides plenty of support, which I like. Its my dedicated summer hammock and being 1.7 and SL, it allows breezes to cool me off in the evening because I don't think the thread weave is as tight as a 1.1 BB. You will definitely have to use permethrin in the summer though, mozzies will be able to bite right thru it.
    I use it all summer on my hikes, I just hose it off in the fall, pack it up, and wait for next summer.

Not sure what happened to my last reply. It Didn't post. But anyways, It says the hennessey backpacker ultra lite Hammock fabric is 70D nylon taffeta, 160 x 90 high count. I don't know what that is :-)) is there a comparison to the BB SL 1.7 in fabric type? I've used the Hennessey all summer with no problems from Mosquitos.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyL View Post
    Not sure what happened to my last reply. It Didn't post. But anyways, It says the hennessey backpacker ultra lite Hammock fabric is 70D nylon taffeta, 160 x 90 high count. I don't know what that is :-)) is there a comparison to the BB SL 1.7 in fabric type? I've used the Hennessey all summer with no problems from Mosquitos.
    I believe 70D is 1.9

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast