Warbonnet BB 1.7 Dbl & ENO Dbl.
    Tarp
    GoLite Cave 2
    Insulation
    Thermarest or CCF
    Suspension
    Rings n' Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by food View Post
    I hike in Colorado - I never carry rain pants.
    Keep hiking.. you will start carrying them.

I used to be "tough" and just wear shorts when raining.. (still a great tactic) but during cold weather/winds you really need something on your legs.

I carry GoLite Reeds.. they are just simple breathable pants.. They take up no space (fit in the pocket of my jacket) and provide great protection from both sun and wind.

I tried and camped for year without adequate leg protection.. But, having just a simple shell (which weighs nothing) and a insulation layer like extra thick long john bottoms can save your life.. and even allow you to hike into very high altitudes safely.

I try to be ready for anything from -20 to 110 degrees. That's just my experience in California.. but has worked well for me internationally.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Well it sounds like you solved your own problem. Next time do a test lay with all your gear attached after you set it up. Then you can adjust it in the light instead of the dark right before bed. Until I got my JRB BMBH I had to fuss around a lot until I got the right lay. I would never just string it up and walk away. The BMBH is easier for me and I usually get it right the first time. But I still do a test lay to make sure its comfortable and everything is going to hold. I'm with Rablinrev on this, I really doubt your rain gear caused a bad lay with how light rain gear is. A heavy pack attached to your suspension could but anything lightweight.

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

pants?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
    Keep hiking.. you will start carrying them.

I used to be "tough" and just wear shorts when raining.. (still a great tactic) but during cold weather/winds you really need something on your legs.

I carry GoLite Reeds.. they are just simple breathable pants.. They take up no space (fit in the pocket of my jacket) and provide great protection from both sun and wind.

I tried and camped for year without adequate leg protection.. But, having just a simple shell (which weighs nothing) and a insulation layer like extra thick long john bottoms can save your life.. and even allow you to hike into very high altitudes safely.
    Sorry, incomplete answer. I wear REI Sahara convertable pants. Also carry TYVEK pants (2.2 oz.) and expedition weight longjohns. I am comfortable in camp down to 20 and down to zero hiking.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    HH Asym Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    JRB Top and bottom
    Images
    I use the Driducks poncho with the JRB mod that serves as a cover for my underquilt. Dual use rocks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12