Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question 20* UQ, 40* TQ...a good choice or poor compromise?

Greetings all,

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my first hammock , and currently trying to decide what type of insulation to get. I live in western Washington and hike almost solely in the Cascades. I am seeking top and bottom insulation that will give me enough flexibility for the summer (nightly lows in the 50's...maybe low 60's) but keep me warm with perhaps a base or mid layer (nightly lows probably no colder than 20*). I would consider myself a cold sleeper.

I have been gravitating towards a 20* HG Incubator UQ paired with a 40* HG Burrow TQ. I theorize that the TQ will be warm enough on its own for most temps (or left behind for warm summer days), and warm when coupled with a layer of clothes for the colder temps (below 40). I'm also theorizing that the 20* UQ would be warm enough for cold temps, and could be dropped down and allowed to vent more in warmer temps.

Is this a good compromise, or an example of a compromise solving nothing?

I have no experience using any hammock related gear, so I came here to bounce my theories off your knowledge base. Any suggestions or tips would be helpful. Also, anyone with specific experience hammock camping in the cascades would be a plus!

Thanks and here's a picture from Bridal Veil Falls (click for larger version)

DSC_0638_39_40_fused.jpg

Images
    I think your theory is sound.
    I often use a 20UQ with a summer TQ for most of Spring and Fall in Colorado.
    In summer i do prefer a 3/4 40 UQ and in winter I switch to a 20/20.
    hth and welcome to the forum

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    You are on the right track for sure. If it were me (here comes an opinion) I would opt for the 20° Burrow. If you are going to see any nights in the 20's I think you would be happier in the long run. You are only talking about another $30 and 7 or so ounces in weight. You can always vent both the TQ and UQ in warmer weather. Consider this. If you get the 40° Burrow and want to try out some colder nights. The supplement clothing to push your 40° TQ to lower temps is going to add bulk and weight (probably more than 7 oz) to your pack. If you don't like your decision after this Winter and granting you take great care of your UQ and TQ, you can move them both here on the For Sale thread with almost no loss. Cheers and welcome! Happy Hangin!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Sounds like a plan to me! 20° UQ is a very versatile piece. I've used mine down to near 0° without a problem...quite surprised by that actually! A top quilt is easily extended with clothing or a down jacket. Most people will say the UQ is more important and I agree.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    For versatility, Adam at HG recommended a HG 20* Burrow/20* Phoenix, and they served me well for a couple of years, in overnight lows from 70*F to 13* F. In summer, and late spring/early fall, I sometimes carried just a fleece blanket as a topquilt.

I own an HG 40* Burrow, and I wouldn't personally consider taking it below 32 degrees, even with layering of clothes.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks for the quick replies! I should mention that I did consider doing a 20/20 TQ/UQ, but from what I've read, it seems to be pretty difficult to vent a TQ adequately. For this reason, I thought it might be better to go with a 40* and layer vice a 20* and try to vent.

Images
    To vent a TQ you just kick it off. Venting an UQ is where it gets tricky IMO

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I agree with O&B - venting a TQ is dirt simple, whereas venting the UQ is not so easy. I do all my venting with the TQ and none with the UQ.

In colder temps, I usually pull my TQ down from my face, exposing more skin surface and dropping my core temp to cool me. If I'm still hot, stick an arm out, then a leg out, or just kick the whole TQ off.

It's very similar to venting while hiking in cold weather, for me. The last thing I want to do is sweat in cold weather, so if I overheat, I might take off my hat first. If that doesn't cool me off, I'll remove the gloves, then unzip the jacket or armpit vents. The last thing I do is remove layers because that's a real hassle.

I own three underquilts and after the initial dialing-in, I haven't adjusted them since. They're adjusted to conform to my bottom side to prevent drafts. Adjusting them to add drafts and vent? Too much hassle for me when I can vent with the TQ.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware cinch
    I was thinking the same thing and decided to go 30 tq and 20 uq - I have a 20 bag if it gets good and cold - we'll see when they get here - ordered them from hammock gear monday.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Since you stated you are a cold sleeper - you'll freeze at 20° w/ a 40° TQ!

Unless, as stated above, you add way more weight in supplemental insulated clothing. Buy the 20° TQ and don't look back.

And oh yeah - the 20° UQ is the way to go, for sure.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast