Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    Sounds like you'll like a pad, ~25" wide and partially inflated.

As to which is better, a pad is "better" for that sense of width; it also offers a little better view ('cause you're a bit higher up), and lets you go to ground if necessary. An UQ is "better" for being less bulky and probably less weight to carry. I expect most people will switch between them depending on their needs on each trip.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by novascotia-hanger View Post
    I would be interested in any other input, I just bought a RR and find it not as wide as I would like (using an UQ). If the inflatable pad adds some width then that would be great!! Also if current users believe a pad is better than a UQ then I would love to hear that as well.
    OK here is my two cents. I do believe that pads make the Hammock seem a bit wider. I personally use two different pads, One for backpacking and one for car camping. When backpacking I use a neo air Xlite because of its light weight. When car camping I use a Thermarest self inflating pad because I don't have to blow it up or worry about leaks. Even if it leaks it still provides much insulation. When it is really cold I will add and under quilt to either type of pad. Either way I recommend 25 inch width.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    You might want to check out thermarest's new evolite that will be out in April or so, I am testing one now and it makes the gathered end hammocks feel wider even though it's only 20" wide, it's6' long and 2" thick at weighs 19 oz. I was ok to 40* not sure it's be well below that unless you went wider. While I do not plan on converting to pads I find it a viable option if wide enough or using a segmented pad extender.
    though doable pads are more fidgety for me. I do want to try a bridge though.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    NeoAir Xlite
    Suspension
    Straps
    I wanted to follow up with my original post since others were interested in the same thing too.

I ended up getting a large NeoAir Xlite. Having a 3.2 R value at under a pound sold me. It does what I hoped, help flatten out the hammock and offer bottom insulation.

When slid between the two layers it stays in place fine. Once in the hammock it feels like a bed. Very easy to switch side to side on.

Thanks for all the input, it definitely helped choosing the right pad.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brien View Post
    I wanted to follow up with my original post since others were interested in the same thing too.

I ended up getting a large NeoAir Xlite. Having a 3.2 R value at under a pound sold me. It does what I hoped, help flatten out the hammock and offer bottom insulation.

When slid between the two layers it stays in place fine. Once in the hammock it feels like a bed. Very easy to switch side to side on.

Thanks for all the input, it definitely helped choosing the right pad.
    Probably the best all around choice in my opinion. Just in case your shoulder to elbow area do get cold I highly recommend the Thermarest ZLite cut in half and placed in the form of a cross under you back. It's super light, packs small and is an awesome sit pad. Cut in half results in the perfect width for the Ridgerunner.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 13' Winter
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/Pad
    Suspension
    Straps n Whoopies
    Although I don't have a RR, my DIY bridge hammock is very close to one. I have found that the Klymit Static V insulated pad is perfect for my needs. It is 23" wide (if I recall correctly), really flattens the lie, and drastically reduces shoulder squeeze. It is easy on the wallet, too. I like Dutch's folding sit pad as a remedy for any cold spots on my shoulder.

FWIW, I get a better lie and less shoulder squeeze with my pad IN the hammock as opposed in between the double layers. It raises the center of gravity a bit, but I find it generally more comfortable and easier to reposition the pad if it does slip, which really isn't that often.

Cheers

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    Great thread - really good info.
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Hammock
    WB RR and Ukhammocks x hammock
    Tarp
    HMG cuben fibre
    Insulation
    UKhammocks TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Adj webbing + cust
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    Probably the best all around choice in my opinion. Just in case your shoulder to elbow area do get cold I highly recommend the Thermarest ZLite cut in half and placed in the form of a cross under you back. It's super light, packs small and is an awesome sit pad. Cut in half results in the perfect width for the Ridgerunner.
    How do you mean "in the form of a cross"?

Think of the thermarest laid across the main sleeping mat perpendicular. One under you lengthwise and the other across the back of your shoulders.

Hammock
    WB RR and Ukhammocks x hammock
    Tarp
    HMG cuben fibre
    Insulation
    UKhammocks TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Adj webbing + cust
    Ok I understand, thx for the explanation

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast