Hammock
    DIY 11' Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge

SLD Trail Lair Question

For those of you who own the Trail Lair hammock, I am curious about the lay of the hammock with the way Jared sews up the gathered end. Here is a picture:

Trail Lair.JPG

It looks like a traditional sewn channel, but you can see that he sews the ends of the channels together to increase the support for the netting.

My question is this - have any of you noticed any adverse impact on the lay of the hammock?

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    I have an 11' TL DL 1.1 66" wide. I'm also 6'5", 230, so you know my experience might be unique.

I find this TL so much more comfortable than my WBBB XLC SL 1.7. And I like the XLC, mind you.

I suspect width is the main reason, and it never occurred to me that the way the end is gathered and sewn, or how the net is attached (at the end) could impact my comfort, but I'm open minded.

All I know for sure is I struggle to avoid calf ridge in the XLC, but have none in the TL.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    I've never noticed any downside for it being sewn this way, everything seems normal when getting to the sweet spot. For me, most comfortable hammock I've had so far compared to my HH and WB Blackbird.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    The only time I notice anything related to this is when use it as a chair. The edges seem tight to me and somewhat uncomfortable on my legs. To be fair, this is my only hammock so I have nothing to compare it to.
    I suspect it also keeps the edges more taut while in the hammock. Again, I don't have enough experience to say if this is of any benefit or detriment to the lay. I have no problem finding the sweet spot regardless.

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Owner of a 10 foot single layer 1.6 TL. I've noticed that stitching at the top also. I don't feel any difference in the lay when I compare it to my SLD Streamliner. Both are extremely comfortable. We need a dedicated string to keeo all things Jared more organized.

Hammock
    N/A
    Not meaning to hijack a thread, but it's a bit older, so I thought I'd ask...I'm brand new to hammocking (in search of a more comfortable backcountry sleeping system), and am wondering why one might choose a single layer 1.6 over a double layer of 1.1? Does it all depend on weight? I'm 138 pounds and 5'10". Thanks for any advice for a noob!

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spr0cket View Post
    Not meaning to hijack a thread, but it's a bit older, so I thought I'd ask...I'm brand new to hammocking (in search of a more comfortable backcountry sleeping system), and am wondering why one might choose a single layer 1.6 over a double layer of 1.1? Does it all depend on weight? I'm 138 pounds and 5'10". Thanks for any advice for a noob!
    A SL 1.6 will weigh less and pack smaller than the DL 1.1.

On the other hand, the DL 1.1 will possibly offer a place to put a sleeping pad (you need to order it with pad openings), and theoretically makes it harder for bugs to bite through.

The recommended max weights of the occupants in either hammock will depend on the fabric, itself, since some 1.6's are stronger than others (same with the 1.1's).

Help me out, folks. Did I miss anything?

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Max weights are often comfort level related. If your going to be sleeping in it you shouldn't need to equate DL to bug bite prevention since you will have a UQ or a pad... Something else between you and the SL.

Hammock
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Firesong View Post
    Max weights are often comfort level related. If your going to be sleeping in it you shouldn't need to equate DL to bug bite prevention since you will have a UQ or a pad... Something else between you and the SL.
    Quote Originally Posted by mychal View Post
    A SL 1.6 will weigh less and pack smaller than the DL 1.1.

On the other hand, the DL 1.1 will possibly offer a place to put a sleeping pad (you need to order it with pad openings), and theoretically makes it harder for bugs to bite through.

The recommended max weights of the occupants in either hammock will depend on the fabric, itself, since some 1.6's are stronger than others (same with the 1.1's).

Help me out, folks. Did I miss anything?

Thank you both for the info! Dialing in my first hammock purchase sure is a tedious, albeit exciting, process! No hangs in my area, and finding difficulty trying anything out, so I'm trying to just get it right the first time. More than anything I'm relying on faith inspired by nearly all accounts I've read detailing hammocking as being vastly more comfortable than sleeping on the ground.

I'm seeing conflicting advice about hammock width and its benefits. Some swear by the 72" width, others cite no benefits beyond 60"...any additional thoughts on this would be very welcome!

• + New Posts