Backpacking with hammock in Peru, good idea?

Hello dear hammockers!

Next year I'm going for a backpacking trip to Peru. I'm thinking about bringing a fairly lightweight hammock with bugnet + tarp and sleeping pad.

Have any of you traveled in Peru? Or better yet: have any of you traveled in Peru with a hammock?
    Is it worth the extra weight? Does it work with the temperature and humidity and so on? Of course it depends on where you are. My plan is going through the whole country - the jungle, the Andes, the coast etc...

Thanks a lot!

Leon

Hammock
    WBBB / WBRR
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps / WB
    Images
    Hi there!

I have actually backpacked in Peru a bit and a hammock in the jungle is probably ideal, however, once you get up into the Andes... no trees. I'm pretty sure that the locals would think it's neat up there, but might not take too kindly to you hanging from their ruins either, not to mention the local government and militia would likely have a huge problem with it. You will probably want to go to ground for those parts of the trip.

I haven't done it with a hammock, so I can't really speak to that, but I have done it with a tent and that worked out very well in the Andes. A lot of places we stayed in the Andes were near water below passes/summits and those places are typically just boggy enough that it's like sleeping on a mattress and just dry enough that you don't have to worry too much about wet gear in the morning.

I'm actually going back again in April next year too, when are you going?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Cuben fiber +doors
    Insulation
    Muticam UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    whoopies/straps
    I was in Peru in June (their winter) not too long ago. I went to Lima, Machu Picchu , Cusco, and Puerto Maldonado. It was an awesome trip. As far as using a hammock I have mixed feelings. When I went to Peru, at the time I had a DD (travel) hammock/bivi. The problem with my hammock choice was that the bottom of that hammock is water proofed as to also act as a bivi if you can't find any trees!. During the day when I wanted to kick my feet up and hang, with all the humidity I had a sweat jacuzzi in my yummy hammock At night the temperature dropped. Lucky for me, I had been smart and planned to scout it out on my first trip.
    Things to seriously consider:
    Hammock choice -You need something that breathes the locals use Cotten hammocks.It also needs to be thick enough that the Mosquitos won't suck you dry ! At night it gets cold so plan accordingly.
    Things like insulated sleeping mats, sleeping bags (I like to open mine up and use it as a top cover as to not hurt any of my beautiful goose down ), thermals ,sweaters, and jackets can make your nights a lot more comfortable. It sounds like a lot of things to bring, but it can be done both lightweight and compact. All it takes is money....lol.

On another note, don't take the jungle lightly! It's a different animal! You're going to want to be in your hammock before dark. By dark I mean both the dark from the sun going down, and the dark of the clouds of death mosquitos that come around at the same time. For bugs, I applied permethrin to the outside of everything ! Backpack, shirts, pants, socks, under hammock,boots,hat and it really did help so it's something you might want to consider. One night I looked down and just from the inside of my bug net attached to my hammock, I saw tons -I mean tons of giant crab looking spiders the size of my hand alllllllll over the ground and trees. Thank you God for my bug net! I saw a Rainbow Boa snake right below me, a big Tarantula (Chicken Spider) along the path, and that's where I decided lights out now please...lol .. Oh and after the Mosquitos came out, the bats weren't far behind. Another good reason to get in your hammock early. They were not just bats, but vampire bats ..... They want your blood tun tun tunnnnnn! LoL ..
    What else is important? Boots. They need to be water-proof! There is tons of water in the jungle, not to mention all the rain that can happen in the rainy season which was just starting when I was there.
    I don't know you or your experience level so please don't take this the wrong way.
    But, Peru is no joke.. No joke what so ever! It's hot during the day especially while hiking and the nights get cold. If you go in to the amazon area like I did, do not go alone. Pay a guide to go with you because it's super easy to get lost. Right before my trip to Peru I had seen a news clip about indigenous tribes that had killed a tourist near to where I was planning on going, so you have to know not only how not to get lost but where u can go and where you can't !
    Hopes this helps!
    sincerely, a Fellow tree dweller.
    .,====,_o00o
    //__l_l_,\____\,__ Jeep Life! +
    l_---\_l__l---[]lllllll[] Hammock Life = Awesome !
    _(o)_)__(o)_)-(o-)_)___

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness.

So Many projects...
    So Little Time..

Hammock
    DIY 1.0 11'
    Tarp
    no tarp! need asap
    Insulation
    DIY apex UQ
    Suspension
    DIY-neema
    The main thing with hammocks is that you need anchor points to set up.
    If you can't find thoses, you're on the ground facing conduction.
    That's why I don't use UQ that much.

For trips under unsure conditions, I use two sleeping pads, one big for the body (around 120cm) and one sitpad for the legs.
    If I can't find anchor points, I just sleep on the ground with my pads.

The hammock being stuffed under my shirt to add some insulation, or wrapped around the neck as a scarf, or layed down on top of my quilt to block (some of) the wind...

Have a nice trip

Thanks a lot for the replies!!
    Anon83: Nice to hear! I'm planning to go in January-Mars/April.

YeahIdIDThat: Wow lots of good info! The jungle certainly doesn't sound like a joke! What do you think would be the best alternative: a hammock with integrated bug net or one that you can take off and also surrounds the hammock completely? Or no now I know: a hammock with integrated bug net + removable bug net that surrounds the hammock! This way, I can choose to go 100 % mosquito protected + going ground (because that wouldn't work to well with WB travel net I think)

This is the equipment I have in mind now:

Thinking about this hammock: http://ukhammocks.co.uk/shop/article...2%26aid%3D4%26

With this travel net:
    http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/bla...r-accessories/

Snugpaks Jungle Sleeping bag: http://www.snugpak.com/military/jungle-bag

CCF sleeping pad

What do you think?
    Last edited by lionsroar; 09-22-2014 at 19:06.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    OK...so, I've not been in the jungle with a hammock. But a large part of why I went to camping in a hammock was because of my time there! LOL!

You've got a lot of good advice so far. Personally, if I were to go back now, I'd take at least parts of the setup I have now. I have a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe, with the zipper mod (2QZQ mod #4), and with the bottom entry. I also have a HH Hex tarp, with sewn on doors from 2QZQ. Myself, I'd take an underquilt and underquilt protector (breathable).

If the weather is warm, even just adding the UQP underneath without the quilt can cut down big time on bug bites.

After my time there...you couldn't pay me enough to sleep on the jungle floor again. The term 'crawls' is the only thing I can think of...the whole ground just moves with bugs at night. I still have phobias...

The advantage of the tarp setup, along with carrying an inflatable pad is that you can use that as your shelter (along with your trekking poles) when you're higher up in altitude and the bugs aren't as much of an issue.

Permethrin on EVERYTHING...and the things you can't hit with that should be well covered with Picardin.

Make sure your vaccinations are up to date.

I've been very tempted to go back as a civilian, carrying the gear I've got now.

Hammock
    DH NightHawk and Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie and Python
    Quote Originally Posted by YeahIdIDThat View Post
    I was in Peru in June (their winter) not too long ago. I went to Lima, Machu Picchu , Cusco, and Puerto Maldonado. It was an awesome trip. As far as using a hammock I have mixed feelings. When I went to Peru, at the time I had a DD (travel) hammock/bivi. The problem with my hammock choice was that the bottom of that hammock is water proofed as to also act as a bivi if you can't find any trees!. During the day when I wanted to kick my feet up and hang, with all the humidity I had a sweat jacuzzi in my yummy hammock At night the temperature dropped. Lucky for me, I had been smart and planned to scout it out on my first trip.
    Things to seriously consider:
    Hammock choice -You need something that breathes the locals use Cotten hammocks.It also needs to be thick enough that the Mosquitos won't suck you dry ! At night it gets cold so plan accordingly.
    Things like insulated sleeping mats, sleeping bags (I like to open mine up and use it as a top cover as to not hurt any of my beautiful goose down ), thermals ,sweaters, and jackets can make your nights a lot more comfortable. It sounds like a lot of things to bring, but it can be done both lightweight and compact. All it takes is money....lol.

On another note, don't take the jungle lightly! It's a different animal! You're going to want to be in your hammock before dark. By dark I mean both the dark from the sun going down, and the dark of the clouds of death mosquitos that come around at the same time. For bugs, I applied permethrin to the outside of everything ! Backpack, shirts, pants, socks, under hammock,boots,hat and it really did help so it's something you might want to consider. One night I looked down and just from the inside of my bug net attached to my hammock, I saw tons -I mean tons of giant crab looking spiders the size of my hand alllllllll over the ground and trees. Thank you God for my bug net! I saw a Rainbow Boa snake right below me, a big Tarantula (Chicken Spider) along the path, and that's where I decided lights out now please...lol .. Oh and after the Mosquitos came out, the bats weren't far behind. Another good reason to get in your hammock early. They were not just bats, but vampire bats ..... They want your blood tun tun tunnnnnn! LoL ..
    What else is important? Boots. They need to be water-proof! There is tons of water in the jungle, not to mention all the rain that can happen in the rainy season which was just starting when I was there.
    I don't know you or your experience level so please don't take this the wrong way.
    But, Peru is no joke.. No joke what so ever! It's hot during the day especially while hiking and the nights get cold. If you go in to the amazon area like I did, do not go alone. Pay a guide to go with you because it's super easy to get lost. Right before my trip to Peru I had seen a news clip about indigenous tribes that had killed a tourist near to where I was planning on going, so you have to know not only how not to get lost but where u can go and where you can't !
    Hopes this helps!
    sincerely, a Fellow tree dweller.
    Great story thanks for sharing!

Hammock
    WBBB / WBRR
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps / WB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lionsroar View Post
    Thanks a lot for the replies!!
    Anon83: Nice to hear! I'm planning to go in January-Mars/April.

YeahIdIDThat: Wow lots of good info! The jungle certainly doesn't sound like a joke! What do you think would be the best alternative: a hammock with integrated bug net or one that you can take off and also surrounds the hammock completely? Or no now I know: a hammock with integrated bug net + removable bug net that surrounds the hammock! This way, I can choose to go 100 % mosquito protected + going ground (because that wouldn't work to well with WB travel net I think)

This is the equipment I have in mind now:

Thinking about this hammock: http://ukhammocks.co.uk/shop/article...2%26aid%3D4%26

With this travel net:
    http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/bla...r-accessories/

Snugpaks Jungle Sleeping bag: http://www.snugpak.com/military/jungle-bag

CCF sleeping pad

What do you think?
    The Hammock looks ok... certainly light weight.

If you are going to order (and then wait) for something from Warbonnet, I would honestly just order their BlackBird XLC hammock and skip the extra bug net. If you get the dual layer (either the 1.1 or 1.7) you will be able to slip your pad in between the layers, and with 2 layers of material and a ccf pad nothing is going to bite you through the hammock... aside from larger pests... like jaguars. It's an amazing hammock, packs down very small, has the integrated bug net and other features you will love, and is one of the highest quality pieces of kit I own. PLUS with the double layers it makes it MUCH easier to move the pad around under you.

I have been thinking about this quite a bit since you posted originally, and realized I have hung in the jungle in Hawaii in a hammock. It's not quite as hot there usually although I was there during a particularly hot time, but the humidity is there. Very few bugs though, just mosquitos and they can't bit you through the hammock material on the DL.
    20140816_135722.jpg
    In fact, this is me in my WBBB XLC (1.7 DL) in Hawaii, in the jungle.

That jungle bag looks pretty cool too, my guess is that you will probably end up with that under you in the hammock, and nothing on top, with the CCF pad sitting on the ground under you while you are in the jungle. It's hot there, even at night, and having too much insulation is just going to cook you. When I was there I stayed most nights in a cabin, in a bed surrounded by bug net, in my boxers, and would have to get up repeatedly to hit the shower to cool down... it''s just hot. Having a hammock will allow you to lose heat underneath you too, and you'll be outside where you might catch a breeze, and that sounds like paradise in the jungle to me.

For when you get out of the jungle and into the mountains though you are going to want the insulation. It gets cold in the mountains at night. **** cold. Depending on your altitude you could see temps near to freezing (or even below if you are high enough). For that, the CCF pad is going to be a life saver, and you will probably sleep in the bag in your hammock, in your gear.

The only thing I think you are missing in your kit as listed is a tarp. You will want it in the jungle, simply because it rains every day (sometimes all day). You will want it in the mountains to block the wind and any weather you might experience, and it will give you a very viable option to go to ground if you need to.

Just as an aside from the kit you have mentioned so far, another vital thing to have everywhere you go there is a way to purify water, and a backup way to purify water. Something you can boil water with is great, and a Steripen or something like it, plus maybe some Iodine tablets or a water filter/pump thing. Do NOT, under any circumstances, drink the water there without first purifying it. I'm sure you know this already, but I just want to make sure. Also, washed vegetables are a no-no. They often use tap water to wash them, and that will get you sick just as easily. Be careful of salads in other words.

I wish there were some way we could get in touch while we're there. It would be very cool to meet up for part of the trip and "hang".

I wish you the best of luck and success with your journeys, and hope they are fruitful and fun!

Let me know if you have any other Q's about Peru, I love it there and am really looking forward to my imminent return.

Anon83: Thanks for the reply man, much appreciated and fun to read too!
    Many good points but I think I'll just go with the Woodsman X (can't really afford the taxes for importing the warbonnet stuff to Sweden, it will cost as much as the hammock itself).
    Yeah forgot to mention the tarp, got one of those tarps from Warbonnet (the edge) which I will be able to set up in the mountains too as a wind shield with the walking poles.

About water-purification, do you think this will be enough? http://sawyer.com/products/sawyer-mini-filter/

Yeah man great idea, that would be really cool! I'm actually planning to go a bit later too because of the rain season, in march or so.

• + New Posts