Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    AHE 3S New River
    Suspension
    Adj. webbing

First Tree Hang with WBBB 1.1 dbl and Edge (pic and vid)

Well, I went out to a local state park to see if I could get the hang of this hammock thing. I knew it was going to be difficult even though Ive watched Shug, Derek, and Brandon's vids over and over. I'm just not grasping the physics. I think I ended up getting close in the end. Read for a bit and tried to sleep but screaming kids nearby kept just at the edge of sleep.

Here's a couple of pics (one with tarp and one sans tarp).

Attachment 92803

IMG_1076.jpg

In the video, I unbox the WBBB, Edge, and some stakes. I then measure and weigh them. Then cut to a set up WBBB. I knew there was no point in filming me standing around cursing and rubbing my head. Then I finish up in the hammock where I express my frustration and mumble quite a bit.

If anyone has any suggestions on what I did wrong, feel free to share. Thanks.
    Last edited by ADKGuy; 09-07-2014 at 21:13. Reason: fixed links

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    What did you feel like you did wrong? Wrong is a relative term anyway. As long as you're comfortable, that's what matters.

The hammock ridgeline can be made more loose by raising the straps on the tree and letting some slack out to maintain the same relative height of the hammock. You only increase the angle of the straps, which brings the gathered ends toward the center of the hammock, creating a deeper sag.

This of course, will change the tension on the ridgeline too. Just adjust it to whatever works best for you.

Warbonnet recommends a 25° angle for the straps on the Ridgerunner. I tried that, but didn't like it. I hung it with a steeper angle. It's just whatever works for the person laying in it.

Heck, most of the fun of it for me is playing around with different configurations. Keep playing around until you find your sweet spot. You'll get it!
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/Hennessy EXP
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    That is such a great setup. I love it. Play with it a little and you will find your sweet pot. I am hoping to place my order for that setup in the next few weeks.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    AHE 3S New River
    Suspension
    Adj. webbing
    Well, I felt like I didn't have a clue what I was doing.

I tried as a first step to center the hammock btw the trees. I have a very hard time with the buckles and wished I'd gone with whoopie slings, they seem easier to adjust. Maybe later.

Next I tried moving the straps to thirty degrees. Sometimes the strap would slip on the tree causing me to have to start over.

Then it became a fight btw raising and lowering the straps on the trees vs adjusting the webbing via the buckles.

Does raising the strap on the tree and tightening the strap have the same effect on the hammock and or ridge line? So, if I do both at once am I'm doubling the effect? Does that make sense ?

Should I be raising and lowering the hammock to get the correct angle by raising the strap on the tree or tightening the suspension or both?

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKGuy View Post
    Does raising the strap on the tree and tightening the strap have the same effect on the hammock and or ridge line? So, if I do both at once am I'm doubling the effect? Does that make sense ?
    No, different effects. If you raise both of the straps the same amount, the angle doesn't change. You only raise the hammock. If you raise them and let some slack out, then you change the angle. Or vice versa with tightening the straps, you decrease the angle. The more shallow the angle, the more lateral load on the tree, hammock, ridgeline, and everything. The steeper the angle, less load because you're pulling more vertically than horizontally.

Check this out...
    http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/
    Should I be raising and lowering the hammock to get the correct angle by raising the strap on the tree or tightening the suspension or both?
    Both.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/Hennessy EXP
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Read some of Derek's info on his site (from the link above) and maybe get his e-book for some other tips. My first hang I ended up sleeping on the ground half way through the night because I just couldn't get comfortable. When I eventually found the sweet spot I was happy I did.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    AHE 3S New River
    Suspension
    Adj. webbing
    I've read the book and his site. I have the hang calculator. I even brought a tape measure to measure things out. This is straight up physics. Physics is the only class I failed from Kindergarten straight through 6 years of college. Just doesn't click.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    I think you're over thinking it a bit. It doesn't have to be THAT precise. You're probably just stressing over things that don't deserve it.

Just play around with your setup, and take note of the cause and effect of each change you make. Not literal notes, just those "Aha" moments.

The more you mess around with everything, the more obvious it will all become.

Just have fun, man! That's the most important part. You'll get it.

If you find a sweet spot, take note of your suspension angles, distance between trees, hammock height and all that... then tear it down and try to duplicate it elsewhere.

It's all a part of the fun... just goofing off in the woods.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    AHE 3S New River
    Suspension
    Adj. webbing
    Yeah, you're right. I tend to get hung up on details in a lot of things and it prevents me from actually doing. Can't see the forest for the trees!!!

Thanks for the advice!!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I think you're over thinking it a bit. It doesn't have to be THAT precise
    ditto. From your picture everything looks good, foot end is slightly higher than head end ect. Just get out there and play with it. I find I am not that finicky. The only difference is that my 1.1 double stretches a little bit more than my 1.7 double when I get in them ( I weigh about 275 lbs )
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast