one more Georgia guy

Time to add one to the post count with the hello world post. My story so far...

Camped on and off through my teens, mostly gave it up during college but came back to it as a 20-something. When the kids were real young, we'd do a fair amount of car (actually pickup truck) camping. Work and other busyness kept us out of the woods for a while until I realized I was in my mid-40s and hadn't spent the night in the woods in forever, so started heading out again, this time slightly differently.

Seeking an antidote to a hectic job, I struck out with very minimal backpacking gear during the relatively mild Georgia winters. When I say minimal, I mean a small backpack, an army poncho and a sleeping bag. I didn't know what lightweight was, but I wanted to see how little I could get away with. My evolution has thus been from lighter to heavier instead of the other way around. I'll condense about 3 years into a couple of paragraphs here.

Sleeping in the bag on the bare ground with a poncho strung up overhead was fun for a while. I made some alcohol stoves and had a great time, but got pretty cold in February, so I started adding things. I got a blue CCF pad and learned that it made me much warmer. I got a cheap tarp and found out it's much better than a poncho, or at least more versatile. I ditched the alcohol stoves for a canister stove. I sought comfort.

I found I loved tarp camping....until the bugs came out in the spring. So I got a small tent. That worked to keep the bugs off because I could enclose myself in with a zipped shut bug net door, but as the weather warmed up, I learned that tents are hot and block the view and they're heavier than a tarp.

The last time I went tarp camping I was very uncomfortable: the bugs drove me crazy, the ground was hard, the roots grew during the night and moved around under me no matter where I lay. I came back home and started reading about hammocks.

Then serendipity struck. I won a bit of cash in a contest at work and knew what I had to do: buy a hammock since this was fun money and thus off the budget. I've found that my Hennessey Expedition was probably a pretty good choice for a first hammock, but I can guarantee you it won't be the last. The hammock is not as comfortable as my bed, but until they invent some sort of Tardis style backpack that lets me take my bed into the woods, the hammock looks like the best bet to get me off that ground that's become too hard and uncomfortable since my age has stubbornly continued to increase and my body lets me know it.

Thus I find myself somehow with a 5 as the first digit in my age, literally hanging out in the woods (and tonite in my back yard) trying to find that golden mean that gives me comfort, with minimal gear. The pendulum is swinging back towards less gear, alcohol stoves, and so forth, but I've decided that within those parameters I'm going to find the best comfort compromise I can.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a rainfly to put up since there's a 60 percent chance of a thunderstorm tonite - perfect!

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Athens. There's a group hang on Lake Oconee the weekend of Oct 18th. Come join us for a hammock info overload and a great time with good folks to share a campfire with.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Welcome from Florida!
    HangCon - Attendance Roster/Activities Sign-Up/Meal Planning Spreadsheets
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

FHV Drone Footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPwv...ature=youtu.be

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Welcome from SC. Hope to meet you at Lake Oconee.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Quote Originally Posted by 2ply View Post
    There's a group hang on Lake Oconee the weekend of Oct 18th. Come join us for a hammock info overload and a great time with good folks to share a campfire with.
    Thanks. It's marked on the calendar. I'm running the Ath Half on the 19th, but my understanding is the hang will be 17th, 18th and 19th. I won't make the night of the 18th, but will shoot for one of the others. If nothing else, I'd like to swing through sometime that weekend and see a bunch of hammocks I don't (yet) own.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Very nice intro! Welcome to the madness from Nashville.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Welcome from your neighbor down south! We have a rather large group hang coming up in January(120+ people), its the Fifth Annual Florida Hang being held in the Ocala National Forest at the Doe Lake Recreation Area. We have tons of hangers from Georgia, Alabama, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, and all over the US, we even had Canadians! So write it on your calendar, here is the planning thread with all the details. Hope to see you down here!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Ketly Noah 12
    Insulation
    UGQ all the way
    Welcome from Augusta

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO HouseFly
    Insulation