Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Marmot Meteor bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Question Been hanging for a while, looking for a camping rig

First off, big thanks to those who make the HF site what it is. I love how much knowledge there is on forums, and this one is one of the best.

I've been a lazy hanger for years. Got an ENO Doublenest with my REI dividend in 2009 after coveting the one my buddy had in his yard. On advice from folks on here, I switched to Whoopie slings early on and have loved them. Still, I mostly keep the hammock in the back of my car for impromptu hangs. It's my luxury item on backpacking trips and longer hikes, but I've only used it for sleeping once — with mixed results.

Generally I'm a ground-dweller, but I'm looking to make the switch. My girlfriend just went ultralight (more or less) with a bivy and a silnylon flat tarp. She couldn't be more excited, but I have very little interest in a bivy unless I'm in the desert or something. I'd been sharing a decades-old tent with her, but that's finally fallen apart. So it's time to upgrade my camping setup.

I'm stuck between a couple options. I could mod the ENO so it'll work better for camping — add a structural ridgeline, buy a bug net, get a tarp — or I could buy a whole separate camping hammock and keep the ENO for lounging. I'm leaning toward the latter route and getting a WB Blackbird. The bug net and ridgeline are included, it'll hold my pad without trouble, the asymmetrical shape should be easier on my back (which is surprisingly bad for a dude in his late-20s), and everyone who has one seems to love it. Still, that plus a tarp comes in around $300.

On the other hand, it's not like modding my ENO would be free. A bug net isn't super cheap, a ridgeline costs several bucks, and I'd still need to get a tarp. And at the end of the day, I'd still have a hammock that doesn't quite fit the backpacking bill.

Any suggestions? I'm tempted to bite the bullet and go with the Blackbird, but I just quit my job to go live with my girlfriend's mom, who's sick, so dollars are pretty scarce. I've got savings that would cover the purchase, but my income is virtually nonexistent. On top of that, my girlfriend's itching to go camping once her gear arrives — so I've got to figure something out pretty quick.

Thanks for reading all this and weighing in!

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Been hanging for a while, looking for a camping rig

Cinch buckle setup from Dutch is fairly cheap. $25 I think. If you have anyone that can sew a DIY bugnet could be the ticket for you. That would allow you to purchase a tarp and quilts first, and upgrade hammocks later.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1/1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Marmot Meteor bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    Cinch buckle setup from Dutch is fairly cheap. $25 I think. If you have anyone that can sew a DIY bugnet could be the ticket for you. That would allow you to purchase a tarp and quilts first, and upgrade hammocks later.
    Thanks for the response. I just took a look at the cinch buckle, but unless I'm mistaken that's a suspension system. I'm actually all set on that front — I've got Whoopie slings and connect those to tree-huggers with biners. Works great! And I think I'm fine without quilts for the time being. It's California and my sleeping bag and pad make a pretty solid combination. Unzipped, my bag pretty much is an OQ. Even sleeping in the windy (but dry) Eastern Sierras without a fly, I was toasty warm. And that was with the pad constantly slipping out from under me!

If I do stick with the ENO, a DIY bug net may indeed be the way to go. But I'm new to this area and don't know many people, and I don't know anyone who can sew. So... that will be a separate hurdle.

My biggest long-term concern with the ENO isn't warmth or even bugs.*It's back comfort. I spent the past few years hunched over a desk for 9-10 hours a day, and my upper back is still griping about it. That's why I'm leaning toward something asymmetrical, whether immediately or down the road.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY GE
    Tarp
    DIY, Diamond, FC
    Insulation
    PAD, UQ, TQ, SB
    Suspension
    Web Straps, WS

Upgrade in modular units, get grandmother's assistance if possible

The great thing about hammock camping is that it is very modular and you can upgrade in steps as you have funds. Where most people spend the most money is when they feel the need to go Ultra Light or SUL and purchase everything ready to go. Perhaps they are hesitant to have someone teach them how to do a basic hem on grandmother's old thread injector that needs a bit of oil and attention and has been sitting in the garage for years. Or one at a yard sale for $10-50. There are probably some nice gear makers or if not at least some little old ladies (and men) near you who get together to sew quilts and would enjoy it if you stopped by to learn. They bake the best snacks, but bring some oreos they may like those as well. LOL

So a bug net does not need to cost you more than $20, if weight is not a concern shop around online or locally get a military surplus style, cut little slots in the ends and hand stitch some velcro or omni-tape closers. Many 10 year old boys could do this with grandmother's help, I know I could. Below is one of several dozen DIY bug net projects. the Sock with draw string on the ends is the easiest but a little more difficult to get in and out of.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...t-Bug-Net-Ever

This is not the best or lightest Tarp but for $25 it will work reasonably well:

http://www.woot.com/offers/yukon-out...ef=cnt_wp_15_4

Use cheap drop cloth to make your own Grizz break door or two and it is highly functional, I like transparent plastic so I can see if deer walk by.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-the-tarp-beak

edit: I just read your comment above, you were writing as I was. Not really necessary to know how to sew just run the machine to do a hem, there is a big difference, people who actually sew will generally let you know all about it. LOL Check local Parks and Recs for classes on "Intro to Sewing" or ask at local community centers and places of worship etc, google for quilters etc. I am not saying tell them you want to learn to "machine quilt" but do show a keen interest and respect for what they enjoy, it is a great hobby. I have relatives, now passed on, who did this for many decades.
    Last edited by hangnhobo; 09-06-2014 at 16:15.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The asym part is just a bugnet on the WBBB and most others I have laid in. I have a Dream Hammock Darien, WBB, and HH expedition. If you remove the bugnet it is just a hammock that you lay diagonal in. You may need a longer or wider hammock. If so you could get a $10 tablecloth and make one.

I just took a look at the cinch buckle, but unless I'm mistaken that's a suspension system. I'm actually all set on that front — I've got Whoopie slings and connect those to tree-huggers with biners. Works great!
    Sorry I was thinking you were wanting new suspension for modding your eno.

I was wondering if you could use a stapler to DIY a cheap bugnet. I saw the material in Walmart the other day.

Any way good luck. New hammocks are always fun. I have many and keep them all for friends and kids friends to use .

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnhobo View Post

So a bug net does not need to cost you more than $20, if weight is not a concern shop around online or locally get a military surplus style, cut little slots in the ends and hand stitch some velcro or omni-tape
    Never though of that. My kids used these at Scout summer camp a few times. Just add some shock cord at the bottom.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1/1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Marmot Meteor bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnhobo View Post
    The great thing about hammock camping is that it is very modular and you can upgrade in steps as you have funds. Where most people spend the most money is when they feel the need to go Ultra Light or SUL and purchase everything ready to go. Perhaps they are hesitant to have someone teach them how to do a basic hem on grandmother's old thread injector that needs a bit of oil and attention and has been sitting in the garage for years. Or one at a yard sale for $10-50. There are probably some nice gear makers or if not at least some little old ladies (and men) near you who get together to sew quilts and would enjoy it if you stopped by to learn. They bake the best snacks, but bring some oreos they may like those as well. LOL

So a bug net does not need to cost you more than $20, if weight is not a concern shop around online or locally get a military surplus style, cut little slots in the ends and hand stitch some velcro or omni-tape closers. Many 10 year old boys could do this with grandmother's help, I know I could. Below is one of several dozen DIY bug net projects. the Sock with draw string on the ends is the easiest but a little more difficult to get in and out of.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...t-Bug-Net-Ever

This is not the best or lightest Tarp but for $25 it will work reasonably well:

http://www.woot.com/offers/yukon-out...ef=cnt_wp_15_4

Use cheap drop cloth to make your own Grizz break door or two and it is highly functional, I like transparent plastic so I can see if deer walk by.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-the-tarp-beak

edit: I just read your comment above, you were writing as I was. Not really necessary to know how to sew just run the machine to do a hem, there is a big difference, people who actually sew will generally let you know all about it. LOL Check local Parks and Recs for classes on "Intro to Sewing" or ask at local community centers and places of worship etc, google for quilters etc. I am not saying tell them you want to learn to "machine quilt" but do show a keen interest and respect for what they enjoy, it is a great hobby. I have relatives, now passed on, who did this for many decades.
    There are a ton of excellent ideas in here, thank you! I think you're right to remind me to think of components as modules; I don't need everything all at once. And it hadn't occurred to me that there might be some sort of social sewing circle I might be able to join (and ply members with Oreos)! Thanks for the suggestions.

My family still owes me a birthday present, so I might see if they'll pony up for a decent tarp. Then I can work on a DIY bug net and maybe learn to sew along the way. That should keep both cost and weight to a minimum. And it'll mean I have a decent hammock to offer friends when I eventually upgrade to a quality backpacking hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    Sorry I was thinking you were wanting new suspension for modding your eno.

I was wondering if you could use a stapler to DIY a cheap bugnet. I saw the material in Walmart the other day.

Any way good luck. New hammocks are always fun. I have many and keep them all for friends and kids friends to use .
    No problem at all! You were attempting to be helpful, and that's the most I could ask for.

Thanks again!

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY GE
    Tarp
    DIY, Diamond, FC
    Insulation
    PAD, UQ, TQ, SB
    Suspension
    Web Straps, WS

Helpful folks nearby just a Google away. ;-)

There are so many "machine quilter" guilds, sewing circles, and other similar clubs in the area I live that they practically trip over each other trying to help new people out. Also at least 3 small independent sewing shops just in this one suburb town with one other shop dedicated to quilts and many more in the surrounding towns. My advice is DO NOT buy a machine until you at least visit some of these groups of people. They may be falling all over you trying to help you get a good machine or sell you one of the dozens they have been hording for a good deal. Seriously these are great people and the smaller the community the more helpful they may be. If you have 2-6 hours a week to spare you may never buy another bit of fabric camping gear again.
    Last edited by hangnhobo; 09-06-2014 at 21:07. Reason: fix typo: "guilds" fancy word for social club ;-)

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1/1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Marmot Meteor bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Family's going to chip in a bit of money for backpacking gear, so that and impulsive purchasing might mean new gear sooner rather than later.

Even if that happens, I'd like to use the advice above to turn my ENO Doublenest into a DIY project. I'll add a structural ridgeline at the very least, and I might teach myself to sew so I can make a bug net and maybe some snakeskins out of the doublenest's extra fabric. Turns out my girlfriend's mom has a sewing machine in storage, and though she can't use it because of her medical condition, I'm sure she'll have some tips!

• + New Posts