Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I never suggested he should thru hike a 1.0 or 1.1. Sometime people like to post for postings sake. I'll never carry a DL hammock for any reason. Stretch is not a problem. If I need a pad on such rare occasions, I'll just tough it out like we all did, in the beginning. I've been down to 17F w/o one. Past that point I'd rather just put on more clothes, than bother with non-breathable insulation.

On a thru hike, in my BOB, on any hike with no easy bail out, I'd probably choose a Netless 11'L 65"W Hammock in a 1.3 or 1.6 material. I'd go with the appropriate insulation kit(s) to be able to do a switchout to accommodate colder or warmer predicted future temps. I'd do the same with a Nano Buganator or SLD or Wilderness Designs net.

For recreational weekends and week long hiking trips, and sleeping at home, I'll use 1.0 or 1.1. HYOH
    Signature suspended

Thanks everyone for your replies! Seems to be consensus that 1.1 is the way to go for pad insulation. Although Rolloff made me think about whether it is worth the weight carrying around a blackbird. Or whether I just should go for a more lightweight hammock with a bugnet.

Rolloff: Do you think sleeping with a non-breathable insulation (read: pad) will be a problem in Peru? Should I just bunk up with a warm piece of cloth under me when sleeping out? An underquilt is excluded as it's often made of down which will be so damp it won't do it's work anyway.

Thanks a lot.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    In Peru, I'd probably be looking at a synthetic UQ. I look at down and synthetics very much the same.

As long as you're a weekender, week long, section hiker, or any hike with a decent bailout, go down.

If you are going into known wet or unpredictable conditions, look to be far enough away or w/o a way to not be able to just hike out and go home, or stop at the next town, and mechanically dry my kit, I'd be using high quality synthetics. They are cheaper, and should fit your budget, for a slight weight and bulk penalty. A pad should be in your kit as well, but I'd be reserving it for emergency additional insulation, in you're case.

I've never hiked third world, but I've read a bunch of trip reports and such. Be careful, sometimes it seems better to be carrying cheaper gear all the way around. If someone wants you're GTUL or Yukon special, you can just let them have it. Replacement cost can be much more readily absorbed, and you don't want to get caught up having to fight someone for a wad of silnylon, that far from home.

Good luck. Take lots O pics and file that trip report!
    Signature suspended

Oh. The more I read of your words, the less I want to bring an expensive hammock with me on this trip. Maybe it's not worth it after all. I don't know how much I will use it actually. Maybe a cheap traveler hammock will do, just to hang out in day time =) The more things of high value I carry around with, the more paranoid I will feel walking around the streets and that's one thing I can live without for sure. I want to feel free!

Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    never been to peru ?
    but lived in Honduras for a year and traveled Guatemala for a month also spent time traveling in Micronesia
    bug nets are mandatory of course
    in Central America I used a local made hammock and just used a blanket when cold ? but this was a long time ago before better hammock tech

that said if I was traveling I might ask on some other travel boards what folks are doing with sleeping and hammocks ? depending on what part of peru you will be in ? I might be a CCF pad kinda person for dual use if you hit a hostel or other situations and not being wet ?
    but no idea how long or what type of travel you are doing ? often I would stay at locals homes and for a buck or so could strap up in there yard some had rooms for rent etc.. and use there water for a shower in the morning kinda thing and again no idea of temps for sure but most of that area is pretty mild as far as temp variances and as said theft ! having a $10-$20 pad stolen no worries
    also with so many great places when I travelled picking up a nice local made wool blanket is kinda fun and can make a nice lay down base layer to keep the breeze off your rear if you hang in a room kinda thing which for me again was really common to be under cover of some kind

Quote Originally Posted by lionsroar View Post
    Thanks everyone for your replies! Seems to be consensus that 1.1 is the way to go for pad insulation. Although Rolloff made me think about whether it is worth the weight carrying around a blackbird. Or whether I just should go for a more lightweight hammock with a bugnet.

Rolloff: Do you think sleeping with a non-breathable insulation (read: pad) will be a problem in Peru? Should I just bunk up with a warm piece of cloth under me when sleeping out? An underquilt is excluded as it's often made of down which will be so damp it won't do it's work anyway.

Thanks a lot.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12