DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

How long until hammocks are banned for good?

A little scared to post this...don't hate me

I know we have threads on hammock-friends states/parks already and may have touched on this. But I’m wondering how concerned YOU are and when you feel a hammock “ban” will be much more widespread in a majority of state parks, national parks, wilderness areas, campgrounds, etc.

In my case there is not even a mention of hammocks at the places I hang, which is great. Hopefully it stays that way! I guess it depends on two things:

1. Proper/improper use of hanging hammock to prevent tree damage
    2. The simple number of hangers/mainstream popularity of hammocks

Number 2 is what really worries me. I’m sure some states/parks can be totally ignorant about hammocks and will eventually ban them just because it’s something hanging on a tree without regard to how it is attached. They see more and more people hanging, commercial hammocks for sale everywhere in stores and online, and photos all over the web/blogs/facebook/youtube etc. You could probably tell them you’re using 8” webbing on the tree and how safe it is, but they won’t care. Just a hypothetical situation.

It seems like just a few years ago, if someone saw your hammock in camp, they were like "nice! where did you get that? do you sleep overnight in that?" Now, there's a 50% chance they use one too...and maybe the rest of their hiking party!

As much as I don’t want to admit it or even think about it, I’m guessing I will start to see some resistance to using hammocks within 5 years. Not something anyone here wants to think about, but that’s just something that crosses my mind now and then.

For now, I enjoy every minute I hang in the backcountry and try not to take it for granted!

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    While out at Michaux State Forest, Pa recently, I was not happy to see the damage done to one tree's bark by our hanging. We stayed both in backcountry sites and at a campground on this trip and the campground had limited options. The pine trees were fine as were the maples but there were some others that, though they offered a good hanging distance, the bark was soft.

Yes, campground trees are often treated poorly, chopped up by a hatchet, full of nails, lines wrapped around limbs and never removed, etc. but the bark on this particular tree was not nearly as tough as my usual oak. "Paper" bark trees will show burnishing simply because it is a soft bark. Thing is, the visual damage is obvious. The error in site selection was ours and the same mistake will not happen in the future. Not sure the tree itself would suffer any damage to the cambium but the change in appearance is enough to modify our selection process.

Not such a big deal now, but have a bunch of hangers using the trees regularly and I expect it will be problematic.

The Ranger was interested in our hammocks, asked a few questions and wanted to know optimal distance between trees because he was tasked with identifying hammock friendly sites in Pine Grove Furnace State Park. In retrospect, one of the criteria I would suggest in site selection is the type of tree to be used for hanging in a given area.

I do think hammock stands of some sort will start to show up in a number of parks eventually much like the shepherd hooks for hanging a lantern.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I feel we on here are just more aware of hammocks than most. I don't worry about it too much. There are bigger issues than a worldwide focus on a hammock ban. Sure...some places/parks may ban hammocks but then we just hit them in the wallet and go elsewhere. Write them a polite letter telling them you choose to go elsewhere to spend your fun-money.
    Some parks are adding posts to hang hammocks on now due to upstanding hammock-folk dealing with it properly.
    There will always be misuse of hammocks.....just like folks still litter campsites and chop live trees and break bottles in fire pits and all that rubbish.
    But look at what wildlife does to trees. Woodpeckers, beavers, bugs, beetles, fire, lightning, wind, etc. Trees take a beating. Some bark fairs better than others.
    Many that try hammock camping go back to tents. Some stay with it. I have had many tell me that the whole hammock/tarp/insulation part perplexed and frustrated them. Nothing wrong with going back to tents I say to them. More hammock spots for me!
    In my opinion hammock camping will never be the norm. I backpack a fair deal and still see very few out there.
    When I look at the hard, bare, muddy ground where tents have been pitched over and over I am so glad to be able to walk back in the woods to hang.
    Enjoy your hammock and focus on the joy of the hang rather than worry about what may or may not come to be.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    I really like Ratdogs suggestion about knowing your trees. Some are damaged easier than others.
    I try to stay away from Aspens and Conifers. I love the thick bark pines like Ponderosa's.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I guess I worry too much sometimes. Hopefully I'll never have to come back to this thread to mention new "rules" in place at any of my favorite spots!

Maybe later on parks will add a hammock stand just like they have a specific ground for tenting!

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Use 2 inch tree huggers and sshhhhhh

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    MMSS + sleep pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    I am an in Indiana too. Just curious if there are places here that ban hammocks, or if you have heard rumors of places wanting to ban them? I hope not, but that would really bum me out.

Hammock
    11' Dutch Hexon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Glk3, DIY TQs
    Suspension
    Mltibkles, Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rob317 View Post
    I am an in Indiana too. Just curious if there are places here that ban hammocks, or if you have heard rumors of places wanting to ban them? I hope not, but that would really bum me out.
    Me too, there's not a lot of good get away places around here (South Bend) and anything local putting up bans would further hurt my chances of getting out more frequently.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I fear them becoming too popular too. I hear about people converting others. Let's stop now, we are comfortable, isn't that all that is important.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast