Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    when I lived on Utila (I taught diving there for a year)

pretty much every single euro back packer had a hammock ? that was over 20 years ago
    and most of us slept in hammocks ?
    also spent time in Micronesia once again common to see hammocks
    spent a month in Guatemala once again all the others I ran across I would say well over half had hammocks

nothing new IMHO ?
    I think lots of the hippy raving back pack traveling types have been using them for a long time

stand by others its just you are more aware now like when you buy a certain car certain color all of a sudden you notice them much more

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters Single with bugnet
    Tarp
    Chinook 12'
    Insulation
    Woobie (modded)
    Suspension
    straps/Dutch clips
    I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods, but here in Minnesota, our state parks are actively seeking to increase use, especially among "younger" campers (anyone under age 55). They are concerned that current park users are skewing older, and that the pipeline for future users (and political supporters, i.e. funders) is dwindling. I can't imagine that our DNR would ever do anything to discourage an entire class of users (i.e. "hangers") by banning anything. It's just like any other potentially damaging activity: They will invest in educating users on how to avoid damaging resources, not ban whole classes of mostly responsible users.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ckmaui View Post
    snip...
    nothing new IMHO ?
    I think lots of the hippy raving back pack traveling types have been using them for a long time
    I resemble that remark.
    Me early 70's

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    ^ Love that pic O&B!!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Forgot about this thread already. It really got out of control and away from what I intended. But it's fine to keep open since there's a lot of good conversation here.

And SilvrSurfr, I'm sorry for the comment I made a few pages back. It was unnecessary, especially in a public forum. No hard feelings I hope

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Don't bear hangs also damage trees? It's just less noticeable...

And parks encourage those.

Here in PA/WV you can walk though any backcountry camp site and see the massive amount of damage done by those seeking firewood. You will see hatchet marks on 50' Oak trees that are 3' thick as if someone thought they could chop it down and burn it in a fire that same night. There are nails/screws from hanging lanterns, birch trees that are stripped of bark when there's the same bark lying on the ground right in front of them, and various conifers who's lower limbs were sawed off. I would think that camp fires would be way higher on the list of "things damaging trees" than hammocks.

That being said not everyone can rationalize and should hammock camping have a finger pointed at it I wouldn't be completely surprised. You can't educate stupid and that's why "we can't have nice things."

Disclaimer: I'm not against fires at all, I build one nearly every night I spend in the woods locally, unless the seasonal fire ban is in effect. I do however try to minimize destruction when looking for firewood.

Hammock
    WBBB / Trek Light
    Tarp
    Squidbilly custom
    Insulation
    Jarbidge,UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/strap
    Images
    Go past where any one can carry a cooler, go well off the trail, keep your lights low, keep quite, don't draw attention, and do as little damage as possible. Stealth and responsibility, do both and enjoy for as long as you can. Thats easy for me as its about peace and quite not a party. I have never even seen a ranger once I was set up...if they do not see you they yell less.
    I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.

-Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Econ
    Suspension
    DH Buckles
    Images
    This Summer, I was told by a Ranger (at a National Park in Florida), that a hammock is ok, but you CANNOT have an inflatable hot tub. Go figure

Hammock
    ENO Double
    I personally think it is too much work and research for mainstream to get into it. Getting the right gear, the right adjustments, and the right insulation to keep you warm will keep mainstream away in my opinion. Mainstream camping can't even adjust to sleeping pads and rely on cheaper and cheaper air matresses

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast