WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

Opinions requested regarding DIY bridge/gather end hybrid hammock.

Laying in the WBBB a thought entered the mind. Shifting from diagonal to straight down the centerline felt good from the waist up. No shoulder squeeze or need for a pillow that I experienced in the JRB Bridge, but the banana bend leg/knee stress needed to be fixed. Thought: What if the foot box was placed centered? Anyone experiment around with a hybrid? Foot end like a JRB Bridge hammock, head end like a traditional gathered end hammock. Add couple wings like on the WBBB for top entry and shelf space.
    Noel V.

Images
    well i havn't built one, but i actually have a double hammock model that i built that is very similar. There are a few things about it that are super nice.

the issue that i noticed with it is that you have to still have to have the feet slightly higher otherwise the slope from the gathered end will send you skooched down all night. other than that its a matter of making it work for you in terms of size.

you will have alot of wrinkles along the sides because the patters will look like a trapezoid that is 60 inch (or so) at the top (becomes the gathered end) and 30 (ish) at the bottom.

Also the curced ressed cuts that allow it to lay flat have to me more gradual at the gathered end, and steeper towards the feet. That makes it a bit more tricky to get the curve right.

to me the only thing that makes this idea seem a bit more practical is that because your feet take less weight you don't have to worry so much about the suspension, but you still get some of the flat back properties of the bridge hammock.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    shua, could you post some pics??? and do a dimension type tutorial on your hammock, sounds very interesting!
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I have not tried it in that configuration. I did try my DMB w/BEEP in the Bridge mode at the head and the gathered at the foot. I was having a lot of trouble with that hammock anyway and I don't fully remember what I liked or disliked about it. I am not sure I understand the benefit of the gathered head end when that is the widest part of the body. Mid-line lies in gathered end hammocks are very popular with some people althoug I would not be comfortable in one so _I_ see no benefit. Now the revised narrow foot bridge designs that have surfaced on the forums are another matter.

Perhaps building a DMB (dual mode bridge) would give you some flexibility to play with and see what the various options might be.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    i'll post some dimensions but like i said, its fairly simple. I have a model of it that i'll post but it will take just a bit because my girlfriend has both our cameras and she is up in old forge. I'll try to remember to post here but look for another post that will have my new double hammock concept.

remember that the idea behind this hybrid is not about providing width at the shoulders. this is do provide a flatter lay, while still maintaining the simpleness of the speerhammock. It's the best of both worlds

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shua View Post
    remember that the idea behind this hybrid is not about providing width at the shoulders. this is do provide a flatter lay, while still maintaining the simpleness of the speerhammock. It's the best of both worlds
    I understand what you are saying. But to me it seems like the worst of possibilities. But that's just my opinion and subject to change as the situation requires.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Images
    do that does make sense rev. so i don't disagree with you, but it's a matter of what you gain with a hybrid, not what do you loose from a bridge. think of it this way. with a hybrid you get two things. Width at the shoulders, and a flat lay.

What do you gain with a hybrid? Less setup, and a flatt"er" lay than a traditional spear. In my model, the hybrid was used in the reverse of what was originally suggested here. I may have gotten dislexic. the spreader bar is at the shoulders, and the spear end is at your feet.

Simpler than a full bridge to setup, a bit more minimal. there are some sacrifices, some gains. Things like measuring the endcape and sewing the endcap. the curve angles for the sides are a bit more tricky, but the custruction time for the hammock alone is halved.

Idk, it might still seem like a bad idea, and like i said i built one as a model to see how it performed for a seperate solution.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    shua... you missed my point entirely. Step back a read the post again. I was NOT advocating a DMB as a replacement for the hybrid. I was suggesting that the DMB and the work that went into developing it could serve as a platform for playing with the hybrid. That's all. But obviously I have nothing more to add that's productive so I'll pass on this thread and save every one the trouble.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

• + New Posts