AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings

How thick and from where?

OK so I posted about my Frost Butt Syndrom in my trip report yesterday, and now I am trying to figure out what to do for a pad in the next few days as I have an invite on a 50 mile 5 day hike in the Seven Devils range here in Idaho leaving on the 12th. So I am expecting about the same temps, uper 30's is a safe bet, and I realy do not want to end my nights sleep at 5am and go sit by the fire till the sun comes up. So I was hoping sombody would help me figure out how thick of CCF pad to get to keep the chill out in Idaho summer weather. I would love to order a Yeti UQ but $$$ just are not there right now. And being the only hanger on the trip I would rather not look like a total nob frezzing my but off. And second any body have a good recomendation as to were to get it from for a guy on a budget. I got my 1/8" pad from OWF here in Idaho but for 3/8" or 1/2" there price realy jumps up. What about getting a 1/4" and cutting it down to say 25" wide and glueing that to the wider 1/8" pad to beef it up?

Thanks all, I would have never had a chance at making hanging an option if not for all the great advice and help this comunity has to offer.

Paul

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    hey Paul--
    gluing pads together will work just fine, I'm told Gorilla Glue is good (available at Home Depot I know), and some others.

I think the 1/8" + 1/4" plan is sound, and for another bit of insurance hang a Neat Sheet or poncho liner or maybe even just a fleece blanket on the outside. I think you can manage this without sewing (but if you sew, then make channel ends to pull the thing together at the head and foot to close off air coming in. Otherwise try to effect this by tieing it.) Since you'll have the pad on the inside and your shoulders/head and feet will have plenty of insulation, what the outside layer can do is give you a bit of something extra in the middle.

You'll want your pad to be at least 25" across your shoulders, wider if you can, that's where you're likely widest and most likely to slip off the pad.

Something like this you'll be fine for sure. Probably you'll be fine without the outside bit, but when it comes to cold I'm a conservative sort, having grown up where there are two seasons : winter and 4th of July.

Grizz

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    brandon from warbonnet posted a link for Volera foam and the price was very cheap, I think it is in one of the threads in the pad section
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Images
    the minicell foam in the second link is probably slightly better, but the landau in the first is very close and alot cheaper. both are very high quality, i'd say 1/4" of either would be good to somewhere in the 40's (i think). not sure how these compare to owf's

http://www.a1foamandfabrics.com/site...5B848624430181

http://www.foambymail.com/Minicel.html

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    that was fast. knew we could count on you brandon.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Images
    If you can't come up with another pla before your trip, you could just ad a sit pad sized pad cut out from a Walmart blue pad, about $6 or so. And or maybe add a wind shield pad like you have in your sons hammock. Just add it to your foam pad. Or, maybe your pack has a pad you can add?

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    You do have Walmarts in Idaho, don't you????
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Idaho not Iran...yes we have walmarts, I actualy do have a blue wally pad but it just seems so narrow in that condo they call the Black Bird. Thanks WBG that is just what I need, those prices blow OWF out of the water. For refrence the CCF that OWF sells looks (spec and from the pics) to be the same that ED has on his site, 2 pound density 40x80 but they have a few more thicknesses and they run about the same $ for the 1/4" that ED sells.

I will probably order some from one of Brandons links next week. The tough thing is testing it befor I leave on the next trip. Down here in the low lands the lowest temp at night has been down to 65, but up in the mountians it realy drops a lot diffrent. Weather reports were saying in the low 40's but it seemd a fair bit lower to be. So I need to be prepared to handle it.

Thanks for the help guys.

Paul

The pad Ed Speer sells is likely your best bet. I've had good luck with my evazote pads from Oware. Evazote equals the most warmth for the least weight, nothing else compares.

Images
    i think that minicell is probably equivalent to evazote, it says extremely fine celled, irradiation crosslinked polyethylene foam, (1.5-2.5 lb density) which is what eva is i believe. i haven't found a source for eva, but i suspect it's kinda a brand name thing, like spectra/dyneema. the minicell is truely that, the cells are extremely small. they sell minicell "skins" too, advertised as 1/16" thick, but i found the section i got was solid 1/8" really nice and supple for an 1/8"ccf.

the same place that sells the minicell also sells volera, it's the only volera that i've looked at, but i was not impressed at all. the landau from a1 is waaay better.

all these are going to be alot better than the blue wm pad, which is cheap polysytrene with big ole cells i believe
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 08-02-2009 at 12:03.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast