Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Discussion about hydrophobic down treatment in another thread got me thinking again about pads. My first night as a noob lying directly on one was a wrestling match so I abandonded the idea of using one and modified a sleeping bag for a great UQ. But the "accumulation" of moisture in down during extended trips in freezing weather, as per the discussion mentioned, has caused me to reconsider pads.

It seems that in extreme cold when moisture does not evaporate from down a vapor barrier is recommended. Am I hearing that right? And if that is so then it might as well be a pad that also adds insulation.

Now, I've seen ice evaporate when sun shines directly upon it. But inside a quilt that is not likely to happen. So, how would one get rid of the moisture? My metabolism is very high and I put out a lot of water vapor. I love down but the accumulaton of moisture in freezing weather concerns me.

Are most padders exclusively padders with DL hammocks? If so, how do you stand it in the summer?

Mike

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    winter lynx
    http://lawsonequipment.com/ Check lawson out, good lightweight flexible quality foam, good prices and free shipping.

New England foam manufactures this product they call Micro-cell MC3800-Black-Microcell™ http://www.newenglandfoam.com/foam.html

They don't give any individual specs on this product as far as available size, weight, density or R value. I suspect this could be a source for minicell foam.

Hammock
    http://camphammocks.com
    Tarp
    Peaked Fly
    Insulation
    PAK-IT-LITE System
    Suspension
    Toggled Suspension
    Images
    As long as your hammock is breathable, a ridged closed cell foam pad works great. I used to have condensation problems on cold nights, waking up in a puddle (wait! was that my sweat or did I just....) and then I realized the material of the hammock was not very breathable. I fixed that problem and now I only wake up in a puddle if I had too much tea before going to sleep.

I also found a great material called "Wipe Out". No not the show, but a flannel like material that is very wicking, very warm and very quick drying. On one bivouac I was laying in my hammock, watching WWII in HD, and spilled my green tea all in my lap. And yes, this time I know it was my tea since I was still awake. The temp outside was about 2deg and I thought,"Crap! This will never dry and I will be sleeping on ice". Never felt a thing! The tea had wicked to the outer layer of my hammock and, in the morning with the temps still in the single digits, the Wipe Out was dry. I was amazed! Great stuff!

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by theseakayaker View Post
    As long as your hammock is breathable, a ridged closed cell foam pad works great. I used to have condensation problems on cold nights, waking up in a puddle (wait! was that my sweat or did I just....) and then I realized the material of the hammock was not very breathable. I fixed that problem and now I only wake up in a puddle if I had too much tea before going to sleep.

I also found a great material called "Wipe Out". No not the show, but a flannel like material that is very wicking, very warm and very quick drying. On one bivouac I was laying in my hammock, watching WWII in HD, and spilled my green tea all in my lap. And yes, this time I know it was my tea since I was still awake. The temp outside was about 2deg and I thought,"Crap! This will never dry and I will be sleeping on ice". Never felt a thing! The tea had wicked to the outer layer of my hammock and, in the morning with the temps still in the single digits, the Wipe Out was dry. I was amazed! Great stuff!
    Any links to this material?
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    Not sure if this is it, but i found this while poking around.
    http://www.brookwoodcos.com/wipeout.html

Hammock
    WBBB!,bias ww BMBH, DIY
    Tarp
    JRB, GG cuben twin
    Insulation
    tewa Mt.3. GG pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Amstel
    Images
    I second on the Volera foam. My test so far haven't been that great 45 degree and a 35 degree night wanted to test it backyard see what temp. I bailed on it. Both times bailed low 50's. One night even used JRP poncho liner and 15 degree quilt to give it maximum chance to perform. In my opinion failed both times. I love GG pads but then again I could be biased. Was excited about the Volera as an option just didn't work out.

Hammock
    Clark nx 250, WB xlc 1.7dbl,WB rr d
    Tarp
    OMW, vertex
    Insulation
    incubator0,phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopie,atlas,web
    Don't know if this will help but I put this together with junk I had lying around it has not been tested yet. Here is how I made it, I had rubber floor mat 1/4 that I think I bought at walmart, it was 8ft long and I left it that way. It is 40" wide I measured and cut it to 33" straight down but now wished I would have cut out semi circles on both side in the middle for the hips. I then used some 1/4 duct wrap that has a adheasive backing on one side foam in the middle and a reflective side which I rolled out to about 6 ft. Then I rolled another section right up next to it taped it all the way around and one strip in the middle with duct tape. I tested it out for fit and comfort for 10 minutes but it was just to hot to stay longer but it stayed in there very well nice tight fit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    HH Monsoon
    Insulation
    Reflectix
    Suspension
    HH
    You could get a windshield reflector from Wal-Mart fairly cheap.

Hammock
    Clark nx 250, WB xlc 1.7dbl,WB rr d
    Tarp
    OMW, vertex
    Insulation
    incubator0,phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopie,atlas,web
    Ok this did not work at all sorry.
    When I was a kid the only time we were in the house was to eat and sleep.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast